Removal of caches from Lake Tahoe Desolation Wilderness

TahoeJoe

I'm appalled that ski3pin has come into our community and started removing caches from Desolation Wilderness. They quote that it is a violation of Wilderness regulations. Most of the caches have been up here for over a year with no problems. Desolation Wilderness is the most used wilderness area in the United States and the few visits these caches receive have no impact on the environment. I'm a teacher in Lake Tahoe and I worked with the Forest Service on biology projects this past summer. One of the projects even took us by one of the caches in Desolation and the biologists thought it sounded like fun. I also know of other members of the Forest Service who have no problems with caches in Desolation Wilderness. I'm sorry to say that there will now be fewer caches for our community and visitors in our area to enjoy. Shame on you ski3pin, if you had a problem with these caches you sure approached it the wrong way. You have no right to remove these caches!

icon_frown.gificon_mad.gifAs a Tahoecacher partner with TahoeJoe, I am disgusted that Ski3pin became the self-appointed cache police and unwelcomely invaded my home of 26 years and have systematically been removing caches on their own arrogant volition. With no consideration to the proper authorities or proper channels, they have taken it upon themselves to become the supreme cache law enforcers.

I can support TahoeJoe's statements that the long-standing cache placments in this wilderness area have posed no problem for the Forest Service.

Instead of embarking on their rampant cache-cleansing crusdade, Ski3pin should focus their energy on cleaning the trash, renovating the camping areas that have destroyed vegetation, resurfacing the blackened huge boulders with camp fires (now illegal), and restoring the eroded adjacent grounds to heavily used camping areas.

It would be in the best interests of concerned geocachers who find this behavior offensive to email ski3pin to express your position.

TahoeBerne of the TahoeCachers

David Berne icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

WOW...I think what she is doing is the worst thing that I have heard of happening in this sport...The question is what can be done to this stupid person...and I agree if she is worried about the condition of the woods she should get her sorry a#$ out there and do trail repair and help clean up the forest from stupid people like herself, hey thats it she should do community service like all thieves have to do and pick up trash!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif