Wherigo?

GeoGirl2009

5 minutes ago, GeoGirl2009 said:

what relly is a Wherigo and how do u "hide" them?

"A Wherigo cache requires a Wherigo cartridge to find a cache container with a logbook. The cartridge must be hosted on Wherigo.com and the cache description must include a link to the cartridge. Wherigo posted coordinates must be the same as the “Start at” coordinates on Wherigo.com, or within 2 miles (3.2 km) of the final for Play anywhere and Reverse cartridges."

A Wherigo, in it's basic concept, is a multi where each stop is like a virtual stage.  You move from coordinate/stage to coordinate/stage until you reach the final, which is just like a regular geocache.  You have to sign the log to claim the find, just like most geocaches.  There are some variations on this, of course, just like there are some variations within each cache type.  The most common Wherigo (at least those I've done) is similar to a multi I've described.  Sometimes each of those coordinates will have you answer a question or "perform" some virtual task in order to get the next stop to show up. 

The more "elaborate" ones sometimes require you to pick up (virtually) some item to deliver to some character later on in the Wherigo or you will need whatever it is you picked up for some stage later in the Wherigo.  Some have a time limit, meaning the creator has established a set amount of time to complete either a particular stage or an entire cartridge. 

Some are play anywhere, which means that you can literally play one in Australia in your backyard, even though the Wherigo might be based in North Carolina, USA.  However, in order to be able to claim a find, you'd still have to sign the log in the final, which would be in NC.

Some are called reverse wherigos.  You start within a certain range of the Wherigo, drive/walk in some direction, then "check" your location to see if you've gotten closer or farther away.  Eventually you narrow down your search area as you get closer and closer until you finally find the final and sign it.

As to creating them, there are quite a few builders out there.  The "easiest", in my opinion, is Wherigo//kit by @Ranger Fox.  I've only done the question and answer Wherigos but you don't need to know the coding needed to create a Wherigo.  You input the coordinates for the zone/stage, choose the size of the zone (larger when needed and smaller to really focus in on something specific, assuming your coordinates are good), input the "action" you want to show up when a person walks into the zone (I usually make it a description about what they're seeing), and a question you might want answered before moving onto the next zone (not required).  You can keep the Wherigo smaller or make it as large/long as you'd like.  Just make sure you let a prospective player know about how long it might take.  Once completed, you'd have to upload your completed cartridge (that's what they're called) to Wherigo.com, which is where players and creators can go to access/upload cartridges.

There are, of course, other builders.  Groundspeak, Earwigo, Urwigo, Wherigo\\kit (these are copied, not actually hyper linked but you can find them on @Ranger Fox's "signature" at the end of each of his posts.  Urwigo, IIRC, requires a download to your computer and Earwigo is web-based (again, IIRC).  Both have a much steeper learning curve than Kit does but both of them allow you to be much more creative with what you can choose to do and build.  Groundspeak's is, at least when I tried it, somewhat of a hit or miss as to whether or not it will actually work for you.

Finally, you'll need something to "play" the Wherigo.  RIght now, the only way you can really play them is with an app on a smartphone (available for both Android and iPhone).  There are some older Garmin GPS units that will play a Wherigo but they're getting harder and harder to find as they age.

You'll still need to hide a final cache to list it on the site and just like all caches, the saturation rule applies (.10 miles from any other cache).  However, the zones, since they're virtual, don't have to apply to the .10 rule at all.  That's great for areas that are already rather full of caches but you'd still like to have people visit the area for some reason. 

I have a mini-series of Wherigos that I created that surround public art.  The first is on the grounds of a community-based arts center, the second is on some statues around the city where I live, the third is in a national cemetery, and the 4th is on the public grounds of our art museum.  I have one that takes you to each Carnegie library in my county of residence and another one that was based on what I thought was a good representation of what Rivendell (from the Lord of the Rings trilogy) might be like here in my neck of the woods.

Feel free to post any questions here.  While it's certainly not the busiest forum sub-section, your questions, should you have any, will get answered.

• Helpful 1