Error in table Finds for Each Day of the Year

Sakletarna

Suddenly an error has occurred in our statistics table Finds for Each Day of the Year. It now reports 20 finds for May 27 (it should be 18) and 81 for May 28 (it should be 83). We have checked all the finds on the dates in question and they are correct in the All Geocaches list and adds up to the correct numbers, i.e 18 and 83 respectively. We think this strange error might have occurred sometime during June 2020. What has happened? We hope this small problem can be fixed - we must be able to trust the numbers ... :) .

• Funny 1

My guess would be that its related to adventure labs in some way. Its odd that they switched dates of course but since there have been problems with labs and timezones etc I wouldnt be suprised if this would be one of those times when somebody tries to fix a problem and a whole set of new problems shows up instead. 

• Upvote 1

It is true that we logged some lab caches on the 28th (10 not 2). We have logged lab caches on other dates too without any problems with the statistics. The problem might seem small since it's "only" 2 caches that are wrong on each date but the bigger worry is that geocaching.com shows different information for the same thing  on different pages of the site.

I logged a cache yesterday (5/7), but it does not show up on the table "finds for each day of the year". In there it shows 0 finds for 5/7. It does have the correct date in my history (5/7) and log (5/7), so I hope this will be fixed. My streak is gone now. No biggie, but would be nice to continue.

Last week I did do some adventure labs but not yesterday or the day before that.

3 minutes ago, scrapcar said:

I logged a cache yesterday (5/7), but it does not show up on the table "finds for each day of the year". In there it shows 0 finds for 5/7. It does have the correct date in my history (5/7) and log (5/7), so I hope this will be fixed. My streak is gone now. No biggie, but would be nice to continue.

Last week I did do some adventure labs but not yesterday or the day before that.

When I look at your statistics, it's showing 1 find for the 5th of July. Sometimes it takes a little while for the statistics to catch up or maybe the table has been cached by your browser.

image.png.3a8f8aeaaac3ca6ae380d2bf71dd8706.png

Oh good. Thank you. Normally statistics are updated immidiately (never seen it take more than a few seconds). Now it took a lot of time. I can see now that it has been updated, 20 minutes ago it wasn't.  Strange that it took some time now. Issue resolved. Thanks for your reply. 

On 7/3/2020 at 2:04 PM, Sakletarna said:

It is true that we logged some lab caches on the 28th (10 not 2). We have logged lab caches on other dates too without any problems with the statistics. The problem might seem small since it's "only" 2 caches that are wrong on each date but the bigger worry is that geocaching.com shows different information for the same thing  on different pages of the site.

I was thinking that since there is (has been?) a known problem with lab caches beeing logged in the seattle-time zone and not the time zone of the lab cache then if somebody tried to fix the problem with the timezones they might have pushed the first two labs to the wrong date by using the wrong time zone. I have no idea if any work was done on the labs or if it is related to that in any way, Im just saying that the labs are my "main suspect" in this. :)

I've just posted a bug report in another thread about a calculation error involving Adventure Lab caches and the main statistics on the "Finds for Each Day of the Year" calendar grid.  This thread actually has a better title to describe the problem, but see my post on the other thread for the details of the bug.

• Helpful 1

I stored my statistics (daily finds) at 16th April when it showed 70 finds for July 8th and 5 finds for the next day - see Pic 1. These numbers are from geocache.fi which is an authorized partner and basically just copies the data from geocaching.com. On 9th of Julý I went for 7 caches, 5 Lab caches and 2 normal caches, to raise my daily count up to 12. On previous day I did not do any caching. All 5 Lab caches are properly recorded for July 9th according to https://labs.geocaching.com/logs - see Pic 2. Also 2 other caches are recorded properly in geocaching.com - see Pic 3.

The problem comes when I look the ”Finds for Each Day of the Year” summary chart! Geocaching.com reports my daily finds wrong, 74 for July 8th and only 8 for July 9th (should be 70 + 12) even they are recorded correctly in the system - see Pic 4! It looks like 4 Lab caches are counted to previous day and only one correctly to 9th! I actually completed the Lab caches somewhere around 08 - 09 UTC time i.e around 01 - 02 Seattle time. Maybe there are some night time batch runs running around those hours? That could explain why one of the Lab caches is counted differently than others. The overall status remains same now after one month. 

So definitely there is a bug but it may be limited only to Lab caches and ”Finds for Each Day of the Year”. Should be fixed though!

P1-4.PNG

Edited by ukkijaai
  • Upvote 1