Buried Where? The Challenge!

Graveseeker

OK fellow Harris County, Texas geocachers; we are the dead and buried and it's your job to find us. Accept our challenge and we think you'll enjoy the hunt as well as the prizes.

In a nutshell, there are over 500 burial sites from city cemeteries to single gravesites in Harris County. I have listed as many of them as I can find at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~prsmith/AlphaCem.htm. I need you to get the Lat/Lon position information for these sites and I'm making it worth your while -- no brightly colored beads or wampum in this cache. Check out my new cache, Buried Where? The Challenge!, for all the details and may the best team win!

Good Hunting! -- Graveseeker

I'm sorry, but geocaching is not a competitive event with multiple "smilies" awarded on one cache. Cache has been archived until it complies with the normal "one find per geocacher, each location can be logged only once" standard. Also, the format is that of a locationless cache, so the cache type needs to be amended and finders need to post the coordinates of the graveyard that they log along with a photo.

This was apparently approved in error or edited after approval.

erik - geocaching.com admin

This cache was approved after several exchanged emails clarifying some points. Edited after approval? Many times but not in a material way that changed the game. I'm sorry if I created a problem or broke the rules. I thought everybody would enjoy the challenge - and at least one geocacher (and one Admin person) did.

I'll assume you sincerely want to introduce others to the enjoyment and satisfaction of genealogy, seeking old graves etc. and not just use them to do your research for you, so I'll be nice. icon_smile.gif I think a better way would be to create your own web site and post your proposal there and be open about what you are trying to do. I think it is a great idea to identify and precisely document all of the old graveyards/graves in ANY area and to solicit others help is perfectly fine. In fact I would be happy to contribute when the opportunity arises. However, my reaction to seeing your cache page made me feel like you were trying to use this medium and us geocachers for your personal gain and that rubs me the wrong way. Offering cash prizes and setting cutoff dates as if you have a thesis or dissertation deadline doesn't help. Keep your money, build a page, and they will come.

quote:
I'll assume you sincerely want to introduce others to the enjoyment and satisfaction of genealogy, seeking old graves etc. and not just use them to do your research for you, so I'll be nice.

And then you go on to bash me. Nice?

quote:
I think it is a great idea to identify and precisely document all of the old graveyards/graves in ANY area and to solicit others help is perfectly fine.

Thanks, that's what I did.

quote:
In fact I would be happy to contribute when the opportunity arises.

Glad to have you.

quote:
However, my reaction to seeing your cache page made me feel like you were trying to use this medium and us geocachers for your personal gain and that rubs me the wrong way. Offering cash prizes and setting cutoff dates as if you have a thesis or dissertation deadline doesn't help.

In spite of my reaction to your reaction, I still appreciate your input. You are absolutely right, I am trying to complete a database which will be useful to all genealogists who do research in Harris County. I know that the effort looks like it would benefit me (which, in fact, in won't because ALL of my ancestry is from North Carolina and Virginia) which is why I decided to make this into a game, a contest, and to spice the pot with some cash. I'm sorry it rubs you the wrong way. I thought it was a pretty neat idea.

quote:
Keep your money, build a page, and they will come.

The pages are built and I am spending considerable time maintaining them. You can take a look if you like at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~prsmith/ -- click on the Harris Co, TX link. Join in the game if you wish - the prizes and the deadlines (which every contest MUST have) remain.

Sorry for the hiccup everyone. I knew that my cache was a bit different but didn't

think it would upset the powers and get archived quite so quickly. That's OK, I

underestand their position and we'll just have to work around the issue so as not to mess

with the rules.

So here's the deal. The contest is still on. I've created a web page on which I posted the

rules at RULES AND I have sweetened the pot a bit to help make up for this

glitch.

• a.) First Place: $35.00

b.) Second Place: $20.00

c.) Third to Fifth Place: $ 10.00 each

d.) Sixth to Tenth Place: $ 4.00 each

The only significant changes are that you must send me an email <PRSMITH@HOUSTON.RR.COM> directly rather than logging finds on

the geocaching website and tiebreakers will be determined by the date/time stamp on

emails.

Good Hunting!  ==  Graveseeker

I have reworked the official geocaching page into a Virtual Cache which means only one 'find' per team and a photo of your GPSR at the site is required to document your success.

The competition, however, is still alive so get those entries in to me at prsmith@houston.rr.com and check the standings regularly at theHarris County, TX Cemetery Challenge page.

In spite of the bad weather last weekend, a couple of hardy Houstonites braved the weather and located a couple of burial sites in the county so the scores now stand at:

WalstiB -- 3 points

SpacemanSpiff -- 1 point

geowz -- 1 point

I put the general coordinates back on the web page so the cache should show up on your local cache listing and I put in a TON of good to fair to poor fixes to give you a start. If you see a ~, the numbers should get you pretty close. A ~~, well, let's just say you might want to do a bit of checking before you go and take a good map.

Finally, I entered a new column for photos. Yep, take a picture of your GPS/hand with the burial site in the background and I'll memorialize it on my web site. You can check out one of those as well.

Yep, just two weeks left to the cemetery challenge and it looks like it's going to be a runaway. First, a quick reminder of the prizes at stake:

• a.) First Place: $35.00

• b.) Second Place: $20.00
  • c.) Third to Fifth Place: $ 10.00 each

• d.) Sixth to Tenth Place: $ 4.00 each

OK, Nobody's going to get rich but a.) it's the best I can do and b.) even tenth place is better than most cache prizes. So check out the cemeteries left on the list at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~prsmith/alpha_cem.htm and then set your sights on a prize. Here's the competition (sorry if the formatting doesn't come out - I tried {shrug}:

TEAM SOFT HARD NEW TOTAL TOTAL

FINDS FINDS FINDS FINDS POINTS

ParkerPlus 25 -- 1 26 35

CCfromDP 11 -- -- 11 11

WalstiB 3 -- -- 3 3

DutchHorn 3 -- -- 3 3

usmorrows 2 -- -- 2 2

SpacemanSpiff 1 -- -- 1 1

GEOWYZ 1 -- -- 1 1

Billy H. 1 -- -- 1 1

TerraTrekkers 1 -- -- 1 1

BabsLover 1 -- -- 1 1

icon_razz.gif Tommorrow, March 31, is the final day of the challenge. There is still time for final entries and the field is essentially wide open - it sure wouldn't take much to jump up there in 3rd, 4th or 5th place and claim a $10 prize! No entries will be accepted after midnight (though the information will be gratefully appreciated anyway). Here are the current standings (I hope this works better than the last one icon_frown.gif:

SOFT HARD NEW TOTAL TOTAL

TEAM FINDS FINDS FINDS FINDS POINTS

ParkerPlus 36 1 1 38 51

CCfromDP 17 0 2 19 37

DutchHorn 4 0 0 4 4

WalstiB 3 0 0 3 3

usmorrows 2 0 0 2 2

SpacemanSpiff 1 0 0 1 1

geowzy 1 0 0 1 1

BillyH. 1 0 0 1 1

TerraTrekkers 1 0 0 1 1

BabsLover 1 0 0 1 1