Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
hildah

Problems with new mystery cache

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have done the new mystery cache https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8JDRQ_minne?guid=acfb8918-ca86-43d8-9dd6-ffbe25b9d337 and use the checker of geocache.fi and now it seems that if you are using Chrome browser the information of the checker are not updating. If you use MS Egde browser  the checker shows right values = works as it should work.  Because Chrome is so widely used browser, I hope that you could get it work also all cache information.

Can you fix the problem? 

Best regards hildah / Tarja Sinkko from Finland

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi Tarja,

 

usually, such image data is not kept in the browser cache, or it kept only with a short lifetime. Here it seems that only with chrome the image data are kept in the cache. Firefox is working as expected.

 

In my opinion, this is a bug that caused by the changes in the release notes of GS. The image url is changed by the website also. If GS do that, they should also make sure that the image data are not kept in the cache of the browser, also in chrome.
 

Sorry, I added 5 more incorrect results to the checker, and I have not really a solution for you.

 

Kind regards,

Frank

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for your comments.

I cannot understand why I have this problem only with this cache  https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8JDRQ_minne?guid=acfb8918-ca86-43d8-9dd6-ffbe25b9d337. I have used the same checker also earlier and all those are working well whole time. If it is only browser problem, why it does not occur all caches where the same checker app is used.

I have heart rumors that there has been similar problems also earlier and understood that those problems have been solved somehow by your organisation? But is it really so?

Anyway I think that Chrome is widely used browser and it is a shame it geocaching application doesn't work well with this browser.

Regards

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, hildah said:

I cannot understand why I have this problem only with this cache  https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8JDRQ_minne?guid=acfb8918-ca86-43d8-9dd6-ffbe25b9d337. I have used the same checker also earlier and all those are working well whole time. If it is only browser problem, why it does not occur all caches where the same checker app is used.

 

The changes with the images were made on January 24th, 2020. Before that, it certainly worked.
Have you checked whether it still works with the older caches? You should check these caches also. If you have implemented the checker in the same way, these caches should not work also.

 

2 hours ago, hildah said:

... by your organisation?

 

I am not a member of Groundspeak or another organisation. I am only a cacher, like you.

 

2 hours ago, hildah said:

Anyway I think that Chrome is widely used browser and it is a shame it geocaching application doesn't work well with this browser.

 

Of course, it is a shame.

 

Edited by 2Abendsegler

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, I thought you belong   Groundspeak organization.

I also have a similar geochecker in my old mystery caches and it is working  well in those caches. This new one is the problem. I have discussed with the Finnish Geocache.fi / Kivenalla.fi people, who are owner of this geochecker application and their opinion is that the problem is due to changes Geocaching.com applications. There have been a few similar problem also earlier, but not every new caches.

One possibility that has been mentioned, is that some servers that Groundspeak are using do not works as they should. My competence doesn't be such level that I could say, if this is possible or not. You surely understand these things better.

I also understood that Finnish people have not got any information, what have been changed in Geocaching.com application and this make then difficult the react those chances. Is this discussion/ info sharing better somewhere else?

Share this post


Link to post

I also think that the problem is due to changes of the GC application. The changes are roughly documented in the release notes of 01/24/2020. Maybe this release notes could be a good place to discuss the problem and to inform yourself. Maybe the Finnish developers can take a look at the information. Here again the link to the release notes of 01/24/2020. But I also think that the Finnish developers can't do anything, but only the developers of GS.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

×
×
  • Create New...