Oregon History Lessons

Guest fractal

Guest fractal

I was wondering if I could recruit some folks to help me with my series of Oregon History Lesson caches.

Here's the first 3 I have done:

OHL#1

OHL#2

OHL#3

Basicly, I've been hiding caches near those informational/historical signs along the highways here in Oregon, but I'm afraid I can't get to them all icon_smile.gif

If anyone could help me out in this project, please contact me icon_smile.gif I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

-fractal

What kind of help are you looking for fractal? I'm very close to #1 (but likely so are you). I don't plan on being near the west end of 26 anytime soon, so unsure if I can help you with those in the near future.

Are you just wanting someone to check up on them and make sure all is well?

Guest fractal

Actually just looking for people to help continue the project... Kind of like the series of I Hate I-5 caches.

Just want people to find cool historical spots in Oregon, place some sort of cache near them, and call it Oregon History Lesson #xx icon_smile.gif

-fractal

Guest logscaler

Hi guy. Are you looking for people to mark the Beaver Boards or something else? I have photos of about 125 Beaver boards, all the road logs for their locations. I plan on using some of them in cache locations also.

e part of the OHL series as well. I've changed the name to Oregon History Lesson #4 (aka I Hate I-5 XI).

btw, what's a Beaver Board?

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 24 November 2001).]

The cache I placed yesterday qualifies...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10642

Being so close to I-5, I added it to the I-5 series, but it could certainly be part of the OHL series as well. I've changed the name to Oregon History Lesson #4 (aka I Hate I-5 XI).

btw, what's a Beaver Board?

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 24 November 2001).]

Once I have completed my latest cache container, I will place it near an "Historical Area" plaque in OR. I just have to put on a couple finishing touches. Yet another good idea Fractal. -C

Guest fractal

Excellent! Thanks guys!

Beaver Boards... Yes.. Most, if not all, of the Oregon historical marker signs have a picture of a beaver at the top of them.

So in a way, yes, I am looking for people to mark the Beaver boards, but I already have a listing of all of them (somewhere), so I just want to find a way to put a cache at each one....

Please email me (there's a link to my email on here somewhere) and let me know if you are adding to the OHL series so I can be sure and add it to my list on my Moonrize.com site.

Quite the challenge icon_smile.gif

-fractal

I knew I had the link somewhere...

http://rutnut.com/tic/markers.html

At the top of the page, there's links to all of the historical markers, and trees in the Oregon Heritage Tree program.

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 26 November 2001).]

Guest maps-r-us

We like the Oregon History Lesson series but didn't read this posting before we placed the Oregon Carto Cache which definitely qualifies, unless you want to limit this to actual Beaver Boards. The Oregon Carto Cache is a historic location that has an Information board describing the early history of land surveying in Oregon. In addition, we've included information in the cache for people to take. We could add Oregon History Lesson #xx to the title if you folks think it is a good idea. Ex., Oregon Carto Cache - History Lesson #6.

Let us know what you think.

Guest fractal

Maps-r-us:

If you could add "Oregon History Lesson #05" to the cache name/title, that would be great!

And no, I don't want to limit the series to the beaver boards... Just using them as a starting point to the whole series. Anything having to do with something historical in Oregon would qualify.

---

Had to archive OHL #01 today. The container is missing. Strange though... The bungee and hook were still hanging in the tree on the same branch. I thought I presented the container well enough so that people would know what it is and know not to take it... Oh well...

I'll look into replacing it in the Spring time...

Also, if anyone wants to include their cache in the OHL series, let me know so I can issue a # to you so you can add it to the name/title of your cache.

Thanks!

-fractal

Guest maps-r-us

Okay fractal, we changed the title and updated the info on the Oregon Carto cache page to link to your site. Sorry about the loss of OHL #1. It was the one we had been to!

Guest maps-r-us

Thanks for the idea to add the link to the historical markers webpage. Added it tonight. I see where the Willamette Stone IS listed as a historical marker!!!

Now I am off to think of the next historical cache to place. Since I am really a forester maybe I should start a series of Heritage Tree caches! Actually OHL #3 is both! I think some of these sites will be a real challenge to find good hiding places unless we make them multi-point or offset caches.

[This message has been edited by maps-r-us (edited 05 January 2002).]

Guest fractal

Ok.. we're up to OHL #06 now, thanks to the addition of the Carto cache by Maps-R-Us, and McLoughlin by Ryan & Crystal.

Thanks a bunch for keeping this going.. I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Also, I think M-R-U is right.. Multi-point may be the way to go... That's probably what I will do when I replace OHL3. Use the measurements to get the final location...

Makaio: Did you mean this link to the signmaker website? It's the one that lets you make custom roadsigns...

It would be cool to add the sign graphics to all of the OHL's. I'll do up the jpegs next week icon_smile.gif

cool.gif

------------------

-fractal

-=www.moonrize.com=-

Guest maps-r-us

I see the signs you guys are making and I like the idea of a unique graphic for every OHL cache. But I think the freeway-style signs make more sense for the I Hate I-5, 84 series. A lot of the historical sites that still need caches are not along freeways. If only we could get someone to make a graphic of a Beaver Board that we could put the name and number of each cache on! Maybe Navdog could come up with a BB graphic since he obviously has graphic talent!? Maps

Guest navdog

Looks good Fractal. Since you have the original graphic, would it be best to email you and have you send each cacher that hides an OHL cache a URL with the graphic and new name to insert into the cache page?

Guest fractal

That would be great to add the name as well! I have made the change...

I'll post the Photoshop image to my website so people can grab it and modify it as needed. If you don't have Photoshop, let me know and I can do the image for ya.

Here is the Photoshop file

Also... I did make up graphics for OHL's 1-7. You can use them for your cache page, that way you don't have to make the image yourself.

Here's the image link to add to your cache page:

http://geocaching.moonrize.com/OHL-XX.gif

Where XX is your OHL #... 01, 02, 03, etc...

-fractal

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 07 January 2002).]

Guest maps-r-us

You guys are too cool! Now we want an animated beaver that tells the history lesson. Oh, and can we have it by tomorrow? Just kidding! We were definitely amazed at the work you did already and we think it looks great!!!! We'll add it to our OHL cache page. We don't have Photoshop but will see if we have any software that we can use to add our titles/names to future ones but I already am thinking of just having you guys make 'em for us!

And glad to see you liked the Carto Cache, Fractal! We keep hoping Navdog will come visit one of our caches and do one of those great photo collages! Maps-R-Us

Guest logscaler

Fractal;

I did change the handle for my Wyam Falls cache for inclusion into your history lesson series - # 7.

I am sorry but I do not have that Photoshop set up for changing the banner. Can I impose upon you to create this sign for me ?? Pleasepleasepleaseplease

whinewhinewhine snivelsnivelsnivel grovelgrovelgrovel

thank you, logscaler

Guest fractal

quote:

Fractal;

I did change the handle for my Wyam Falls cache for inclusion into your history lesson series - # 7.

I am sorry but I do not have that Photoshop set up for changing the banner. Can I impose upon you to create this sign for me ?? Pleasepleasepleaseplease

whinewhinewhine snivelsnivelsnivel grovelgrovelgrovel

thank you, logscaler

You got it!

Copy and paste the following code into the top of your cache description:

<center> </center>

-fractal

Guest maps-r-us

fractal

Made the changes to OHL#5CC. Thanks!

Tried to load the psd file into Corel Draw but no luck and then tried Paint Shop Pro but got an error message! PSP is supposed to import PSD files but didn't like it for some reason. Guess it will be up to you!

MRU

Guest makaio

OOps - guess I should read all posts before acting. I downloaded OHL-04 and then uploaded it to the site, so the image is loading from geocaching.com instead of from your site. Probably better that way anyhow.

I've installed the font and am all set for making future signs.

Thanks, fractal.

Guest logscaler

fractal: If I save the info for the Marker to a works page and save that, Will I be able to just change numbers, copy and paste to use that data over next time I get a number from you or does it have to be redone each time from your end ?

Thanks, logscaler

Guest fractal

logscaler:

You will be able to use the same line of code to link to the image, but yes, you will need to change the number. Just let me know ahead of time so I can have the graphic ready for you icon_smile.gif

-fractal

Guest fractal

Un-archived Oregon History Lesson #01 today!

I recycled the container from the 'Dude' cache. Left most of the goodies in it, and placed a few more.

I also left a 16MB CompactFlash card that contains a weird techno Iron Chef song that I made, and a very very very strange music video that I made using clips of the movie Silence of the Lambs.

But again.. OHL#01 is back!

(ir at least it will be after they un-archive it)

-fractal

Guest oregone

There's a place on the eastern side of the state called "Whorehouse Meadow." It's somewhere on the USGS Quadrangle "Fishlake."

The story behind it is of marginal appropriateness, but it is a fascinating bit of Oregon history. If possible, i'll be placing a cache there as soon as weather permits.

Guest fractal

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

There's a place on the eastern side of the state called "Whorehouse Meadow." It's somewhere on the USGS Quadrangle "Fishlake."

The story behind it is of marginal appropriateness, but it is a fascinating bit of Oregon history. If possible, i'll be placing a cache there as soon as weather permits.

I just looked it up.. Sounds like it would make an intersting OHL indeed!

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by oregone:

There's a place on the eastern side of the state called "Whorehouse Meadow

One of my favorite places in Oregon. Not the meadow, but Steens Mountain. It's funny, When you go through Topo Zone it shows "Whorehouse Meadow" and the name on the map is shown as "Naughty Girl Meadow". Sounds like an Oregone kinda place. icon_biggrin.gif

There is a cache a quarter mile away at Honeymoon Lake. Hopefully you will have your cache in place Oregone before I make another trip over there myself this summer. I have a great place planned out for a cache on the Alvord Desert.

------------------

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

-Douglas Adams

navdog

Guest oregone

I think i can explain the discrepancy in names for this very historic (and intriguingly named) place. The following quote comes from a Oregon Geographic Names by McArthur: "In the 1960s the BLM issued a recreation map and in deference to the moralists substituted a namby-pamby name, Naughty Girl Meadow. The USGS advance sheet of the Fish Lake quadrangle followed suit but in 1971 the OGNB took strong exception to the change. The compiler is happy to add that the old name was restored by Decision List 8304. O tempora! O mores!"

Looks like that Prospector beat me to it with his HoneyMoon cache. Oh well, i have an idea for one in Plush, my favorite town in Oregon.

[This message has been edited by oregone (edited 21 February 2002).]

Guest fractal

And speaking of Oregon History Lessons, I am in the process of doing a big upgrade to OHL 2 and 3, changing them to 2.1 and 3.1. They will be new caches so people can log them again, but this time, they actually have to look for a cache icon_wink.gif

A big thanks goes out to the Maps-R-Us team for helping me scout out some good hiding spots!

I should have them up and running next week.

-fractal

Guest baunelass

Ohhhhhhh FRACTAL! Hahahaha-- versions 2.1, 3.1 you, you, you. You don't repeat previous antics, I am guessing, so tree climbing should be OUT. THANKFULLY.

We are so going to miss you at the "Girlfriends" Geocaching Get-together Sat 23 Feb 2002. I am surprised you aren't sending an ex-girlfriend delegate to collect Explosis $200 reward, though... Wonder if the Wallstreet Journal Reporter travelling with Explosis that morning will try and collect the dough?

Guest fractal

quote:
Originally posted by baunelass:

... You don't repeat previous antics, I am guessing, so tree climbing should be OUT. THANKFULLY.

We are so going to miss you at the "Girlfriends" Geocaching Get-together Sat 23 Feb 2002....

No more tree climbing in the near future.. I had a heck of a time getting up there myself!

The updated OHL's will require some reading, some super simple math, and a nice little hike down a trail... They should work out a lot better this time around... I estimate getting them up and running in 1 week.

Sorry I won't get to see you folks there, but I know you will enjoy it... It's kinda cool to actually meet these strangers face to face and hear the stories...

Have a drink for me, and I'll see about making it to the next one icon_wink.gif

-fractal

Guest tomwsmf

I recently posted up a virtual cache that might fit in with the OHL series.

Its defintely not a hiking thing nor a cache of many goodies, I dont know there would be a good place to stash the cache close to the main attraction.

This is defintely more a road side attraction. It is historic, there are some cool things to see, the description could even be beefed up considerably to make the finder work harder at getting all the answers.

Anyway, for what its worth

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16151

N.B. This is the first time I have posted up a cache of any sort, so any constructive ideas on making it better are more than welcome.

-Tom of TeamWSMF

Guest fractal

quote:
Originally posted by tomwsmf:

... It is historic, there are some cool things to see, the description could even be beefed up considerably to make the finder work harder at getting all the answers.

-Tom of TeamWSMF

I'm not sure what is at the location, and since it is historic, I'm very interested to find out icon_smile.gif I'll see if I can check it out this week... It may end up being OHL10!

-fractal

Guest logscaler

fractal :

I tried cutting and pasting the graphic for # 7 and changing the number but I can not get a graphic to load. Do I need a new garphic made up or do I just need to tweak the other one somehow? Take a look and see how it turns out for you and let me know. Thanks.