eXplorist GC

TH&CH

If you're trying to use the old Magellan Communicator software, it doesn't work with modern browsers.

When you're on a Cache Page, click the "GPX" button below the coordinates.

This will download one or two files. How that happens and where they go depends on your operating system and the browser you're using.

The basic info will be in a file with an extension of ".gpx".

If the cache has Waypoints, like parking locations, etc., you'll get a file with an extension of ".wpt".

These need to be MANUALLY placed on your eXplorist. Plug it in so you can access it like a thumbdrive.

Put the GPX file in the folder called "GEOCACHES" or something like that.

Put the WPT file in the folder called "WAYPOINTS" or something like that.

Do this for every cache you want to load.

If your eXplorist is connected WHILE you're downloading, you can, of course tell your browser to put the files directly in the right folders on the eXplorist.

When you're done, disconnect and restart the eXplorist.

Ta-da.

• Helpful 1
28 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

If you're trying to use the old Magellan Communicator software, it doesn't work with modern browsers.

When you're on a Cache Page, click the "GPX" button below the coordinates.

This will download one or two files. How that happens and where they go depends on your operating system and the browser you're using.

The basic info will be in a file with an extension of ".gpx".

If the cache has Waypoints, like parking locations, etc., you'll get a file with an extension of ".wpt".

These need to be MANUALLY placed on your eXplorist. Plug it in so you can access it like a thumbdrive.

Put the GPX file in the folder called "GEOCACHES" or something like that.

Put the WPT file in the folder called "WAYPOINTS" or something like that.

Do this for every cache you want to load.

If your eXplorist is connected WHILE you're downloading, you can, of course tell your browser to put the files directly in the right folders on the eXplorist.

When you're done, disconnect and restart the eXplorist.

Ta-da.

So I just tried my own advice, and it only downloaded ONE .GPX file. The additional waypoint info is imbedded in there.

I don't know what the eXplorist will do with that! It may throw up on the unexpected data in the .GPX file, or it may ignore it. I don't think it will correctly process the waypoints, but it might! That IS, after all, the point behind the use of XML files, which .GPX files are, if I may get a little technical for a line or two.

Hopefully, it'll correctly process a cache without waypoints.

Can't try it until I get home from work, so......

4 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I don't know what the eXplorist will do with that!

It should work fine. That's the way I've been using my eXplorist, copying GPX files from my Pocket Queries. And it's worked fine.

I haven't done it for a while though, so Groundspeak may have changed the GPX files. But it should work fine.

10 minutes ago, niraD said:

It should work fine. That's the way I've been using my eXplorist, copying GPX files from my Pocket Queries. And it's worked fine.

I haven't done it for a while though, so Groundspeak may have changed the GPX files. But it should work fine.

Yeah, Darin, that's what I mean. I looked at one, and what USED TO be in a separate WPT file is now imbedded in the GPX XML file.

The eXplorist might show the cache just fine because the programming is only looking for the tags it's interested in, but I'd be surprised if any additional waypoints show up because they're expected to be in the file(s) in the other folder.

If you have a Garmin (I think all of them, but maybe just some new ones), then you will have to download Garmin Express, register your device on that, and then add all of the geocaches to one list (I call mine 'For my Garmin'). From there, you will need to go to your list menu, and click the three dots to the right of your list name. Then press 'Send to Garmin'. A pop-up will appear asking you If you want to open Garmin Express. After you hit 'yes' then it should download automatically, assuming your Garmin is plugged in. I hope this helps.