HELP - STARTER ADVICE FOR SONS BIRTHDAY

sals8

Hello everyone, we are completely new to geocaching but have wanted to have a go for a while.  Our older children are of an age where we can start.  This sunday is my sons birthday party and with a few of his friends ( aged 9) we want to do a walk in the Usk/ Goytre/Wentwood area ( anywhere around there) a walk of about 1 - 1 1/2 hours not too hard a walk and find some caches along the way.  Can anyone suggest a good route and also what we should expect / take with us etc. He is really excited about doing this and we just dont want to be so unclued up as parents that there is no fun for the boys. Hoping that this will give us the bug and mean we can do more as a family ( four sons).  A great way to get out and about. 

The best guide for getting started that I've found is here: https://www.geocaching.com/guide/

My advice, off the top of my head....Take wipes for dirty hands, spare battery pack for your device, spare pen(s), tweezers for tightly squeezed logs. Only attempt lower rated caches at first to avoid disappointment. I'd also avoid micro size, they can be less fun for mini cachers. Take some stuff to swap. Plan before you go, check cache attributes to see if it's family friendly. Finding a nice series would be great, where they aren't too far apart and there may be similar containers which helps. Try to include more than TFTC in your online log, cache owners love to hear a bit about your adventure/ journey to your find. Most of all, enjoy! And Many many happy returns to your little one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1