PDX area caches near old mines or ghost towns?

dasein

We'd like do some caches this weekend in the *general* Portland area that are hidden close to old mines or ghost towns, or that will take you by them. (This summer we plan on doing the Opal Creek cache out by Jawbone Flats, but now is not good timing for us.) We have heard that there might be some out the Clackamas River. Anyone know of any that are accessible with this week's low snow levels? A not-too-difficult hike of 2 miles or less each way is good with us. Any caches like this out there?

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Aside from the obvious caches near the shanghai tunnels, i'm at a loss.

You might go buy this book for reference to some others, though.

I have a topo for some abandoned mines near the molalla area, but--as you said--they might be inaccessible due to the recent weather.

Check out my nutria-related cache. It might be time to head out to the molalla river area anyway. Nice plug, oregone.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

When you head for Jaw Bone Flats and Opal Creek stop at this one on the way. There's hard rock mine that's safe to explore just down the trail from the cache.

I've done a lot of playing on the Clackamas. There's one area where that has a coupl cinabar mines. They're just down the road past Harriet Lake towards 3 Lynx. I'm not if they're marked on maps or not. The one I visited was on the otherside of the pipeline from the road. I don't know of any caches in that area.

Good Luck.

Byron

Byron

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

When you head for Jaw Bone Flats and Opal Creek stop at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=2355 on the way. There's hard rock mine that's safe to explore just down the trail from the cache.

Yep, we've got that one on our to do list also, along w/ 3 Pools. Just waiting for a nice sunny weekend to go camping!

Byron,

We likely won't make it out there until June. I think we have checked out on the internet the campground you mentioned. We'll let you know when we intend to head out that way, and hope to meet you and Anne one day soon.

--laurak of dasein

CFM, we actually do own that map, but I just forgot about it. We also own the Oregon Gold and Gems map.

Kiwimonster, we found Pirate's Cove cache many many months ago. It was one of our most enjoyable.

Today we decided to find Oregone's Where Nutria Fear to Tread cache and had a most wonderful time. Plus the guys were happy to get some target practice in.

Just this week we bought Doug a bicycle and also got a bike rack for our SUV, so soon we will be prepared to visit Opal Creek and Cedar Flats caches when the weather gets a little nicer on a weekend. Both of us being obese, we haven't hiked quite that far yet, but with our bikes we're sure to make it easily. Can't wait to see the area. Who knows, maybe we WILL find the time to visit before June!