Two new caches coming soon...

makaio

I've been slacking in the cache placement department lately, but managed to get 2 more out there today. One is a very simple direct find cache. The other requires some internet detective work (nothing too tough) and some driving.

Unsure when they'll get approved, but I hope you enjoy them when they do.

Note to explosis - one of them even has a (small) trestle involved icon_wink.gif

I'm also "this close" to re-enabling Silicon Forest...

5505_600.gif

I'll give ya the ID's if you give me your beta page ID icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though, if you want to beta test them for me I'll give em to ya.

One of them will take a few hours (research and driving time). The other one is very close and just a walk to type, but nearby homes may wonder why they're seeing a flashlight behind their houses and call the cops icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

I'll give ya the ID's if you give me your beta page ID icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though, if you want to beta test them for me I'll give em to ya.

One of them will take a few hours (research and driving time). The other one is very close and just a walk to type, but nearby homes may wonder why they're seeing a flashlight behind their houses and call the cops icon_smile.gif

I'd love to test them!

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by Maps-R-Us:

I suppose tomorrow is your day off, right fractal? The rest of us will have to wait. By the way, I couldn't find them using the old method of looking for unapproved caches. What's up?

Monday - Thursday are my days off... Pretty much the best part of the job is a 4-day weekend every week icon_cool.gif

And I couldn't find them using the old way either.. Is there a new way? icon_wink.gif

-fractal

Sure wasn't planned that way, but what the heck. The way those Klamath folks post em, one of them likely has one in the queue too icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure what's up with the sneak preview searches. Seems to dump you onto the hide/seek page now. Maybe Jeremy implemented something to prevent it anymore.

I sent fractal the ID's so he can test them. We'll see if he runs into any issues I need to address.

5505_600.gif

I recall some time ago when I first discovered benchmark hunting, and this came up on a thread here. Someone more familiar than I with map datums said the datum used on the data sheets was essentially the same as WGS84. I just wanted to note that on the page to avoid folks confusion when they punch them into their GPSR's.

Thanks, Maps

5505_600.gif

and fractal found it this morning, so it looks like all is well. If it's not challenging enough, maybe I'll have to add more benchmarks to visit icon_smile.gif

btw, fractal, did you check out the wooden bonus virtual cache? You've probably already seen it since you live so close to it. Just say yes or no, don't give it away icon_smile.gif

5505_600.gif

quote:

and fractal found it this morning, so it looks like all is well. If it's not challenging enough, maybe I'll have to add more benchmarks to visit icon_smile.gif

btw, fractal, did you check out the wooden bonus virtual cache? You've probably already seen it since you live so close to it. Just say yes or no, don't give it away icon_smile.gif

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/5505_600.gif

I would say it was a good challenge.. Fun, and not frustrating icon_smile.gif

I did not visit the bonus virtual today, but I have been to it several times over the years.

Fun hunts today.. Thanks for the chance to test them out.. I'll return the favor someday icon_smile.gif

-fractal

I didn't feel like posting a new topic, but this seems like the right place for this:

Since looking up unapproved caches the old way doesn't seem to work anymore, the waypoint for the cache i just placed is GC4C1B if anyone is interested.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

quote:

That apparently doesn't work for anyone other than the cache owner either, until it's been approved. I did a search by waypoint and it came up with a blank page which said simply "Find a cache". Again we wait...

That's probably a good idea on jeremy's part. But it was fun to think that i was bucking the system by seeing all the "unapproved" caches.

It was kinda neat to see people post the most random, crazy-shiite caches in the middle of new england or wherever--most of which had nothing to do with geocaching.

I'll miss being able to look at that stuff, but--times being what they are--i'll accept it.

anyway, that new cache i was talking about was all the way in keizer anyway.

I think its a great idea to Beta Test caches. Its good to "work" out the bugs before it is unleashed on the world. I just tested one of Tungsten's caches. I think the information we shared will definitly be useful. I will definitly have a beta tester for my "Whistle while you cache II" coming soon.

quote:

That apparently doesn't work for anyone other than the cache owner either, until it's been approved. I did a search by waypoint and it came up with a blank page which said simply "Find a cache". Again we wait...

There IS a way. a caching friend of mine taught me how. But it's one of those secrets best kept for emails, not for forums.