(New Idea) Interactive Beginners Tutorial

This one I wasn't sure what subforum this belongs to, as this is for both the android and iphone apps, and I don't think I can place a single thread in 2 subforums. If you know any cross platform "app" subforum feel free to move this thread there.

This idea stems from my last thread about the 1.5/1.5 d/t restriction, and that is the whole idea of "muggles with apps", ie those that have the geocaching app and are able to find caches (besides advanced and pmo ones). And then I thought, this might be a partially resolvable problem (obviously not an entirely resolvable problem as people will find their ways of getting around this). So then I thought of the idea of an interactive tutorial for beginners finding their fist cache.

Now I am aware of the help section within the app, but not everyone stops and reads it. Therefore despite the annoyance, I think a more "take you by the hand" kind of tutorial would be in order. This is not an "in your face" kind of tutorial (ie something you have to pass to unlock the main app), but more of an extra guidance for your first cache.

And when I'm talking about a tutorial I'm not talking a "how to use the app" kind of tutorial, I'm talking a "everything you need to know about geocaching" kind of tutorial that happens at the same time as they find their first cache.

Those that are logging into an existing geocaching account (with at least one log of some kind) bypass this tutorial, to prevent annoyance to existing members who've been geocaching through other means, and have recently downloaded the app (or changed devices or what have you).

After the basic explanation of what geocaching is, the first thing the app should do is direct you to the cache description, the difficulty / terrain (and the meanings behind them), the size rating (and it's boundaries), the attributes, the hint (presented as an optional thing if you're stuck) and the logs. And importantly, explaining to the user to bring a pen on their adventure.

Then once navigating to the cache, when you are within a certain distance of the cache (ie when the "getting close" message would normally popup), the app should remind you behind your search, and be respectful of the area around GZ, and that geocaches aren't buried / leave no trace to the surrounding area. Then there should be an "I've found the cache" button to click on.

Once this button is clicked on, it will explain to the user to sign the log (with their pen that they were instructed to bring), and that they can trade swaps (even or up), and explain to them the existence of trackables (with an "There's a trackable in the geocache, find out more" option).

Once they've done all of that it'll ask them to replace the cache as found for the next person. Finally it'll instruct them to log their find online.

Now as said above this is not perfect, people will be prone to "ok" dialogs without reading, but in my opinion it's a step in the right direction.

Now as said above this is not perfect, people will be prone to "ok" dialogs without reading, but in my opinion it's a step in the right direction.

So you want Groundspeak to take some of the money that premium members contribute annually and spend that paying developers to develop a tutorial app (that holds your hand but at the same time isn't in your face) that people can just bypass.

I'm not excited by the idea.

So you want Groundspeak to take some of the money that premium members contribute annually and spend that paying developers to develop a tutorial app (that holds your hand but at the same time isn't in your face) that people can just bypass.

I don't think it's such a bad idea. I have seen a lot of applications that have pop-up hints for new users with a "Don't show this again" check box. That kind of thing doesn't require any sort of complex programming but does add some extra code that will only run a few times at most. I wouldn't be a tutorial app as much as it would be a tutorial mode that could be turned off after seeing the helpful hints.

I don't think it's such a bad idea. I have seen a lot of applications that have pop-up hints for new users with a "Don't show this again" check box. That kind of thing doesn't require any sort of complex programming but does add some extra code that will only run a few times at most. I wouldn't be a tutorial app as much as it would be a tutorial mode that could be turned off after seeing the helpful hints.

To clarify I wasn't thinking of a tutorial app, I was thinking of integrating a tutorial into the existing geocaching app for new user's first find. I'm not sure the "don't show this again" is necessary, I was only thinking of it being a once off for the user's first find (if the user couldn't find it, all the hints that have been shown won't be shown again, but those that haven't been shown because the user didn't find it will be shown. In the case of a didn't find, DNF related hints should instead be shown).

This may not be worthwhile use of money, resources and time. However if people are using the app to find caches and are unware of rules like "don't trash GZ looking for a cache", "Put this back where you find it, hide carefully for the next person", or "Trade even or up" or "You actually have to find the cache and ideally to sign the log in order to log a find", "If the cache is in bad condition log an NM". Now a lot of these might be common sense, especially to geocachers already aware of these rules. And you might think that a tutorial is useless to these geocachers, but is it? People not following these rules affects other geocachers and their experience. So if this at least "improves" the situation, maybe this isn't such a waste of money after all.

On the other hand, if ALL of those people who are breaking the rules just "ok" without reading, then I do agree, it is a waste of money. If at least a good percentage of the rule-breakers were as a result of lack of knowledge as opposed to lack of caring, and are prepared to read pop-up messages (especially if these pop-up messages contain other useful tips to help find the cache, like the sort of things people hide) as they go then maybe this has achieved something.

To clarify I wasn't thinking of a tutorial app, I was thinking of integrating a tutorial into the existing geocaching app for new user's first find. I'm not sure the "don't show this again" is necessary, I was only thinking of it being a once off for the user's first find (if the user couldn't find it, all the hints that have been shown won't be shown again, but those that haven't been shown because the user didn't find it will be shown. In the case of a didn't find, DNF related hints should instead be shown).

This may not be worthwhile use of money, resources and time. However if people are using the app to find caches and are unware of rules like "don't trash GZ looking for a cache", "Put this back where you find it, hide carefully for the next person", or "Trade even or up" or "You actually have to find the cache and ideally to sign the log in order to log a find", "If the cache is in bad condition log an NM". Now a lot of these might be common sense, especially to geocachers already aware of these rules. And you might think that a tutorial is useless to these geocachers, but is it? People not following these rules affects other geocachers and their experience. So if this at least "improves" the situation, maybe this isn't such a waste of money after all.

On the other hand, if ALL of those people who are breaking the rules just "ok" without reading, then I do agree, it is a waste of money. If at least a good percentage of the rule-breakers were as a result of lack of knowledge as opposed to lack of caring, and are prepared to read pop-up messages (especially if these pop-up messages contain other useful tips to help find the cache, like the sort of things people hide) as they go then maybe this has achieved something.

Doesn't the app already included short tutorial videos?

It does, though people often don't bother going to the help section (which might be the same people who will just 'ok' the messages) Possibly a better idea than my original post was just be to simply better direct users to the help section at various points when finding their first cache.

On the other hand, some people may read dialog pop-ups but aren't prepared to watch a video (especially if they're in a public place ie an urban cache and haven't brought headphones). Also if they're out and about they are either offline or on mobile data and may not want to use up their data allowance watching a video.

The one thing I do argue is since the app is one of the main ways new people get into this game (whether they stay or not is another matter), it's important that they have a good first impression (see my 1.5d/t restriction thread), and are taught the basics of the game (as long as they read what's presented to them) without having to manually dig for it.

It does, though people often don't bother going to the help section (which might be the same people who will just 'ok' the messages) Possibly a better idea than my original post was just be to simply better direct users to the help section at various points when finding their first cache.

On the other hand, some people may read dialog pop-ups but aren't prepared to watch a video (especially if they're in a public place ie an urban cache and haven't brought headphones). Also if they're out and about they are either offline or on mobile data and may not want to use up their data allowance watching a video.

The one thing I do argue is since the app is one of the main ways new people get into this game (whether they stay or not is another matter), it's important that they have a good first impression (see my 1.5d/t restriction thread), and are taught the basics of the game (as long as they read what's presented to them) without having to manually dig for it.

What you're describe is often called Context Sensitive Help, though in this case it's more like context sensitive hints that would help guide a first time users through the application.

Being completely honest, as someone who invests time and money placing and maintaining caches and contributes to the upkeep of the geocaching.com platform via annual premium member subscriptions - I'm already losing interest in these people who can't make up their mind what they want / can't be bothered to use materials provided to them to learn about geocaching / aren't prepared to make even minimal investment for their own enjoyment - and I haven't even met them yet :unsure:

Or maybe it's just the vague / ambiguous / amorphous / wishy-washy way you're outlining this new idea that isn't really a new idea.

In terms of newcomers having a good first impression - even if they stay or not - I'd prefer Groundspeak to focus their energies on clearing out all the crappy caches by CO's who have more caches than they can be bothered to maintain so that we can all have a better experience.

In terms of newcomers having a good first impression...

There is a bit of a tradeoff as far as new users go. We can have low barriers, but that will likely mean the new user will head out without the necessary understanding of geocaching, which can lead to problems for the CO and subsequent seekers of a cache. On the other end of the spectrum, we can have high barriers like requiring a new user to step through a tutorial, maybe even requiring them to correctly answer some questions to prove that they actually read/watched the info that has been presented. This would help avoid many problems, but will also turn off a number of people. Somewhere in between is a happy medium where the new users are given an adequate education presented in a way that they're likely to absorb it, but not so onerous that they just give up and move on to the next app-of-the-day. Personally, I feel the official app is currently somewhere close to the low-barrier end of the spectrum and could be improved.

This one I wasn't sure what subforum this belongs to, as this is for both the android and iphone apps, and I don't think I can place a single thread in 2 subforums. If you know any cross platform "app" subforum feel free to move this thread there.

This idea stems from my last thread about the 1.5/1.5 d/t restriction, and that is the whole idea of "muggles with apps", ie those that have the geocaching app and are able to find caches (besides advanced and pmo ones). And then I thought, this might be a partially resolvable problem (obviously not an entirely resolvable problem as people will find their ways of getting around this). So then I thought of the idea of an interactive tutorial for beginners finding their fist cache.

Now I am aware of the help section within the app, but not everyone stops and reads it. Therefore despite the annoyance, I think a more "take you by the hand" kind of tutorial would be in order. This is not an "in your face" kind of tutorial (ie something you have to pass to unlock the main app), but more of an extra guidance for your first cache.

And when I'm talking about a tutorial I'm not talking a "how to use the app" kind of tutorial, I'm talking a "everything you need to know about geocaching" kind of tutorial that happens at the same time as they find their first cache.

Those that are logging into an existing geocaching account (with at least one log of some kind) bypass this tutorial, to prevent annoyance to existing members who've been geocaching through other means, and have recently downloaded the app (or changed devices or what have you).

After the basic explanation of what geocaching is, the first thing the app should do is direct you to the cache description, the difficulty / terrain (and the meanings behind them), the size rating (and it's boundaries), the attributes, the hint (presented as an optional thing if you're stuck) and the logs. And importantly, explaining to the user to bring a pen on their adventure.

Then once navigating to the cache, when you are within a certain distance of the cache (ie when the "getting close" message would normally popup), the app should remind you behind your search, and be respectful of the area around GZ, and that geocaches aren't buried / leave no trace to the surrounding area. Then there should be an "I've found the cache" button to click on.

Once this button is clicked on, it will explain to the user to sign the log (with their pen that they were instructed to bring), and that they can trade swaps (even or up), and explain to them the existence of trackables (with an "There's a trackable in the geocache, find out more" option).

Once they've done all of that it'll ask them to replace the cache as found for the next person. Finally it'll instruct them to log their find online.

I think it's a great idea. Kind of like having your own personal geocacher showing you the ropes. Show them how it all works early in their caching career. More fun while learning and less issues for everyone down the road.