best Washington DC cache?

illegible

Can anyone recommend a traditional cache that's really great, in DC? We'll be in the touristy areas -- the Mall, the Smithsonians, etc. Something that is very DC-ish?

We're trying to find caches in all 50 states and this will be our first DC one.

DC is virtual land, lots of those and lots of earthcaches, as much of the public property is National Park Service land and they don't dig the traditionals too much.

But, there are a number of physical caches on the Smithsonian geo tour. Most of them involve solving puzzles by visiting exhibits, but GC3QMEP is just a straight up traditional.

edit: ah, I see I'm a month too late. Sorry, I do not check the regional forum too often. Glad you found one on the Mall.

Edited by hzoi

Even if you really are only interested in a traditional, the one at the Smithsonian Natural History building is one of the best I've ever found. And all the other kinds of caches there are really good, too. I was there a few years ago before the geotour, but from what I can tell, the geotour has just added more excellent possibilities while retaining the ones I did in 2013 (although still just the one traditional).

The rest of the mall is packed with virtuals and earthcaches that are very interesting, too. When I was there, my main problem was that my lovely assistant wanted to do things other than geocaching, so I could only get the caches that we walked by for other reasons.