Log a find on a cache I've adopted?

gasbottle

Well, I kinda snicker when I see people (usually noobs) posting finds on their own caches, but if I see that it was an adopted cache, I stop snickering.

Exactly. No one reasonable would even snicker at logging a cache after adopting it, not even those who would argue against it if asked. And, furthermore, being snickered at isn't a big deal, anyway.

Btw, I do have a Find on one of my own caches--so go ahead and snicker. But I did have to find it--the guys that cut down the tree it was in hid it in another tree.

Yep, sounds perfect. I've heard of people claiming a find when they went back to do maintenance, and the cache had migrated just through normal inaccurate return motion. I think it's adorable. (Going back to the previous point: is there any important difference between a snicker and a chuckle? How can you be sure someone claiming a find on their own cache wasn't doing it because they thought it was funny rather than because they didn't know any better?)

Although there are plenty of other considerations, I always think of accuracy first, and that makes your example a good one: you really did find the cache, so it really is accurate to claim the find even though you own it. (Although some other CO might not consider even that "finding the cache", so they wouldn't, and that's also fine, of course.) The OP, on the other hand, admits he didn't find the cache. That doesn't mean he can't log the find, it just means that if it were me logging the find, I'd have to admit to myself why I was really logging it.

Edited by dprovan

the criticism of logging a find on an adopted cache is completely baseless

Not baseless at all.

I don't think anyone here is being unreasonably "harsh". In fact, I think most people here who are "against it" are actually saying "do it if you want, there aren't any rules against it, but it's basically akin to finding your own cache that you created.". What's harsh about that? It's entirely factual. Don't exaggerate the reaction.