What makes a cache 'other' as opposed to xs/s/m/l?

LycanthroFee

Hello all,

I'm placing a new cache soon but I'm quite unsure of what size to list it as. the cache is a rubber duck with a bison and a weight attatched. Does this mean the cache is an xs, or 'other'? the bison is only clipped onto a piece of zip tie on the duck.

Is it 'small' or 'other?

Thanks, Cy.

Hello all,

I'm placing a new cache soon but I'm quite unsure of what size to list it as. the cache is a rubber duck with a bison and a weight attatched. Does this mean the cache is an xs, or 'other'? the bison is only clipped onto a piece of zip tie on the duck.

Is it 'small' or 'other?

Thanks, Cy.

There is no "extra small" option for hiding a cache.

There are varying opinions about this type of hide.

Some folks will use "other" to indicate that there's something "different" about the hide. Some will mention that it's actually a bison tube where the logbook is located. In that situation, the "other" acts like another hint.

Some folks will choose "micro" to indicate that folks are looking for a bison tube. Maybe they might up the "difficulty" level because of the item the bison is in.

A bison tube would not be a "small".

Text descriptions and photos:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

4.2. Containers Explained

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

There is no "extra small" option for hiding a cache.

There are varying opinions about this type of hide.

Some folks will use "other" to indicate that there's something "different" about the hide. Some will mention that it's actually a bison tube where the logbook is located. In that situation, the "other" acts like another hint.

Some folks will choose "micro" to indicate that folks are looking for a bison tube. Maybe they might up the "difficulty" level because of the item the bison is in.

A bison tube would not be a "small".

Text descriptions and photos:

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

4.2. Containers Explained

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=75

B.

Thank you! Also names change from app to app and are called things by different people so I'm never sure whether to say 'extra small' or 'micro' haha, sorry about that! Thank you very much for your reply, I think I'll chose 'other' as it is a unique shaped cache

A popular choice of camo! Those are listed as micros in my area, and that's how I listed mine. I have seen some cache sizes set according to the size of such extraneous camo, but I'm not sure a typical rubber duckie would be big enough to be called a small even if you decided to use that standard.

In my opinion: As all the other sizes are defined by the content volume of the container, "Other" should be used when there is no content volume. Examples are magnetic foil or a flat plate, where the "logbook" is a flat piece of paper attached to the thing or the logs have to be written onto the foils back or something like that.

However, you may find others (pun intended):

• looking "other" than usual containers (tube or rectangular shape)

• so-called "nano" (which according to the definition should be clearly a "micro" sized container, but people tend to ignore this)

• people just making up a random choice

I've also seen "other" or "not chosen" used when people want to surprise finders, like one of those micro-size ammo can style containers that is described in the text as "an ammo can", or a "blinker" that is a small or regular size beacon light rather than a typical nano container.