Garmin GPSMAP 64st dies while loading waypoints, tracks and routes

karl-petter

Hi,

I just got my self a Garmin GPSMAP 64st and wanted to add some custom maps to it. The first ones I tried worked fine but I guess the second I placed on the internal USB mass storage device is somehow corrupt. Atleast that is my suspection since the device starts but kind of crashes when loading tracks etc.

I have tried to force it into USB Mass Storage mode(Press up while powering it on and keep it pressed) but it is just briefly recognized by the computer and then goes into the lodagin waypoints etc and dies.

I have tried the Master reset(press page and enter at the same time while powering up) and selected erase all but does not help. And from what I have understood it does not change the files in the USB Mass Storage device.

So anyone know of any other method to be able to remove the corrupt file or just plainly install a new firmware and all from scratch, a total factory reset?

I'm not sure I can help you, but to aid in recovery in the future, it's a good idea to store data on an SD card rather than the internal storage so that all you have to do is remove the card to remove the corrupt files. You can always use a card adapter to access files on the card and delete them before re-inserting the card back in your device.

This may or may not work, but when this has happened with my 62sc, I'd power on till it got stuck at the mid-way point on the progress bar, then hold the power button till in shut down. It would then let me boot up. Once you get it to power up remove the files you feel caused this. Mineral2's advice to load on the card is a good move.

Edited by Timpat