Virtual caching in Southern Maryland

Guest popwireless

Guest popwireless

My wife and I are considering creating a virtual cache tour of the Southern Maryland area. We recently relocated here and are spending hours just looking around. Seems to me we could share the experience by creating a route of things to see.

Is this kind of cache experience popular? is it worthwhile?

Also, has anyone ever placed a cache at a business? That is where the business, usually a retailer, keeps the cache at the cash register?

Guest kburton

quote:
Originally posted by popwireless:

My wife and I are considering creating a virtual cache tour of the Southern Maryland area. We recently relocated here and are spending hours just looking around. Seems to me we could share the experience by creating a route of things to see.

Also, has anyone ever placed a cache at a business? That is where the business, usually a retailer, keeps the cache at the cash register?

Your virtual tour cache sounds great. I think there would be some interest. As far as leaving something at a retailer I would be game (I own a store) icon_smile.gif. It would be cool to place something at a retailer if part of your virtual tour included a historic down town or something like that. I am sure you could find a shop keeper that would play along.

Good luck,

Karin

Guest kburton

quote:
Originally posted by popwireless:

Your virtual tour cache sounds great. I think there would be some interest. As far as leaving something at a retailer I would be game (I own a store) icon_smile.gif. It would be cool to place something at a retailer if part of your virtual tour included a historic down town or something like that. I am sure you could find a shop keeper that would play along.

Good luck,

Karin

Guest JLambert

My siblings run a diner in VA. I would love to put a cache there. It could go under the cash register, which would be the coordinates. Log your cache when you pay the bill.

Guest popwireless

I may go into a few places and ask about this as we travel. Some of the folks may think I'm nuts icon_wink.gif I am encouraged about the idea.

We are going South today to find three more caches so we will put together something.

I like the idea of having a cache you earn by buying a specific item. It would be fun for the shop keeper, stimulate touring in the rural areas.

My idea would be to furnish a shop keeper with a plastic container with a log book and ask them to put small treasures inside. We may include one to get them started. Their treasure could be a discount on something perhaps. In order to claim the find you would show your GPS to the retailer.

I may start this by putting a cache where I work in Charlotte Hall, MD.

Ooops. I just discovered that commercial cache's are not allowed on this particular system so I would have to respect that. Perhaps if a similar engine were assembled by the same folks on another site that promoted both commrcial and non-commercial? I'd be happy to promote use of popularwireless.com for such a purpose.

[This message has been edited by popwireless (edited 01 January 2002).]

Guest popwireless

I may go into a few places and ask about this as we travel. Some of the folks may think I'm nuts icon_wink.gif I am encouraged about the idea.

We are going South today to find three more caches so we will put together something.

I like the idea of having a cache you earn by buying a specific item. It would be fun for the shop keeper, stimulate touring in the rural areas.

My idea would be to furnish a shop keeper with a plastic container with a log book and ask them to put small treasures inside. We may include one to get them started. Their treasure could be a discount on something perhaps. In order to claim the find you would show your GPS to the retailer.

I may start this by putting a cache where I work in Charlotte Hall, MD.

Ooops. I just discovered that commercial cache's are not allowed on this particular system so I would have to respect that. Perhaps if a similar engine were assembled by the same folks on another site that promoted both commrcial and non-commercial? I'd be happy to promote use of popularwireless.com for such a purpose.

[This message has been edited by popwireless (edited 01 January 2002).]