[Markdown Bug?] Italic

===sgb

I wrote a log a couple of weeks ago in Markdown, which wasn't active then, and it converted itself today ok.

So I added a note in italic to say it had worked and the italic note wasn't in italic. See http://coord.info/GLKX3G1Y

Anyone any idea what is going wrong with italic? Is it me or Groundspeak?

The problem is that "How to Format" text don describe all requirements or possibilities.

The italic, bold and bold there is a space before the first * and after the last. It was changed today i suspect so that som popular {*FTF*} tags and some user name don't become {FTF} in italic like they did when it was relived yestereday

Add a space after the second * and it will be italic.

Space is not completely correct. It can also be beginning of line , end of line. After the second * (but not before the first *) it can also be , . ; : and perhaps som other character i did not test.

I wrote a log a couple of weeks ago in Markdown, which wasn't active then, and it converted itself today ok.

So I added a note in italic to say it had worked and the italic note wasn't in italic. See http://coord.info/GLKX3G1Y

The problem is that "How to Format" text don describe all requirements or possibilities.

The italic, bold and bold there is a space before the first * and after the last. It was changed today i suspect so that som popular {*FTF*} tags and some user name don't become {FTF} in italic like they did when it was relived yestereday

Add a space after the second * and it will be italic.

Space is not completely correct. It can also be beginning of line , end of line. After the second * (but not before the first *) it can also be , . ; : and perhaps som other character i did not test.

That worked - Thanks

As Target. already mentioned it is necessary to have either a space or what we are calling a "sentence ending" punctuation mark after the closing "*" (the same applies for "_", "__", "**"). The reason is that we are not supporting bold and italic markers inside of a word because there are too many usernames and common expressions that use that pattern. So by following the closing mark with a space or a punctuation mark we can assume that the "*" is not part of the word and properly emphasize it.

Thanks for the great question and for being so forward thinking with your logs!