GPX Files and Vista HCx

serendipitycachers

I have looked through the forum to great degree to try and answer my question without asking but, to no avail ... I have an eTrex Vista HCx ... when I download a GPX File to my GPS it goes into the unit as a waypoint ... but, the Vista HCx has a "Geocaching" option under the "Find" Menu ... I cannot get my GPX Files to go into that partition or section or whatever you want to call it ... they are just mixed in with all my other waypoints. Also, how much information should a GPX File contain on the Vista HCx? Should I be able to tell what "size" the cache is? Be able to see the description? Read the most recent logs? All on my GPS?

Thanks

Paul

The Vista HCX is not a true "paperless" unit, so you won't get the cache description, hints, or logs - although there are probably ways to tweak it here and there. How are you loading the gpx files? From what I remember about the unit, you will probably need to use a third party program like easygps or GSAK.

Edited by geodarts

geodarts ... yeah, kinda figured as much ... was just hoping for better ... I tried both of those third party programs and they do work ... I just don't understand what Garmin had in mind when they placed a "Geocache" option under the "Find" Menu. But, I can "Find" them as waypoints just as easy I guess ... would have been great if I could have kept my caches separate from my other waypoints though. Thanks for chiming in ...

I just don't understand what Garmin had in mind when they placed a "Geocache" option under the "Find" Menu. But, I can "Find" them as waypoints just as easy I guess ... would have been great if I could have kept my caches separate from my other waypoints though. Thanks for chiming in ...

The Vista should support a list of geocaches, displayed with an icon (box closed), that can be marked as found (icon changes to box opened), and (I assume) uploaded to this site as field notes so that you can log them easily online. Make sure that your Vista is configured in the geocaching setup menu to recognize the caching icon so that it can identify the list and that either easygps or gsak is sending them as geocaches rather than waypoints.

The Vista should support 1000 caches -- although a friend used to load others as waypoints to increase the capacity.