Placing caches Question

Dad2147

I'm still new to caching but would like to start thinking about place a couple caches of my own. Where do you go to start getting permission from city parks to place a cache and should you have you title and write up about your cache in hand when you approach them. We have some already in some parks but still have a couple nice ones to show off. Thanks for your input. I will still get a few more caches under my belt befor I jump into it but want to start the planning stages.

Question 2: Can one be placed near a Museum to bring in visitirs to view the awesome days of our past. There is no charge for it but If I read the guidelines correctly it is prohibited to do. Since ours in in an out of the way place many will never know it is there that comes in to visit our wonderful city. Thanks for your input.

I'm still new to caching but would like to start thinking about place a couple caches of my own. Where do you go to start getting permission from city parks to place a cache and should you have you title and write up about your cache in hand when you approach them. We have some already in some parks but still have a couple nice ones to show off. Thanks for your input. I will still get a few more caches under my belt befor I jump into it but want to start the planning stages.

Question 2: Can one be placed near a Museum to bring in visitirs to view the awesome days of our past. There is no charge for it but If I read the guidelines correctly it is prohibited to do. Since ours in in an out of the way place many will never know it is there that comes in to visit our wonderful city. Thanks for your input.

Welcome to the game!

You can start by emailing your local Reviewer to introduce yourself, and let them know about your plans for a hide. The local Reviewer should know the local policies for cache placements in your area, and can guide you on who to contact. It looks like your local Reviewer might be Mongo?

For a city park, I'd recommend calling the city clerk to ask who you should talk to. It might be someone with a title like "Parks and Recreation Director" or something similar. That's who would have to give permission, if not someone higher up. Best bet is to start with the Reviewer, but you should also check with the city to know who to talk to for certain.

I wouldn't worry about having a cache page written up at the time of discussion. You're only asking about permission, so the first question to ask is if they've heard of Geocaching. If the answer is no, then you should start with directing them toward the website (geocaching.com) and the Land Manager information (geocaching.com/parksandpolice/). If the answer is "yes", then you can proceed with the discussion about what you're planning on doing.

For a museum cache, you're looking at some grey area between the black and white. In that case, I'd be sure to work with your Reviewer to see if it is allowed, how to make it work, and how to go about getting the required permission to hide a cache in that manner.

Edited by NeverSummer
Where do you go to start getting permission from city parks to place a cache
I would start by checking to see whether the park has a geocaching policy. If there is a published geocaching policy, then I would follow it.

If there is no published geocaching policy, then I would start with the contact information on the park's web site. I would not ask for permission at this point, but would ask whom I should contact to obtain permission.

should you have you title and write up about your cache in hand when you approach them.
I haven't, but if you have something specific in mind, you could. Just be prepared to adapt your idea if the land manager wants you to.

An easy way to show someone the work-in-progress cache description is to print it, but then save it as a PDF instead of actually printing it.

Can one be placed near a Museum to bring in visitirs to view the awesome days of our past. There is no charge for it but If I read the guidelines correctly it is prohibited to do.
Near a museum is fine, but be careful of writing the description in a way that solicits or otherwise pushes an agenda, and be careful of violating the guidelines against commercial caches (e.g., links, logos, encouraging purchases/donations).

If the location is allowed by GC guidelines, you should be able to get a cache published by simply not mentioning the museum in your description.

Your cache will get people to the location. If they want to visit the museum, they will.

Mentioning the Museum, and suggesting people check it out (even if free) can be seen as an agenda, and won't be published.

I have some caches near museums (both paid and free) and other historical type places that I think are good to check out, but I've found it best to submit the cache with no mention of same.

Let the cacher decide for themselves with no prompting from you.