Modification of description after going live

alby_87

Hello everybody,

Let's assume that I decide to change slightly the description of my cache (let's say that I have decided to use a different container and I want the public to know that it's not a tube anymore but a square box)...when I click "submit changes" does the cache go off line until it gets authorized again?? Basically do I have to wait days until the reviewer put it on line again?

Many thanks

No. Altering the container size or if you need to change the Difficulty or Terrain levels... it is allowed to the owners.

Ok. I can change the container size and the difficulty using the levels given (1, 1.5 etc...). What if I change something in the actual description of the cache? I am planning to change my existing tube with a box and I want to remove the word "tube" from the description and replace it with "box". If I do so, does it go off line until vetted by the reviewer?

Thanks

No. Altering the container size or if you need to change the Difficulty or Terrain levels... it is allowed to the owners.

Ok. I can change the container size and the difficulty using the levels given (1, 1.5 etc...). What if I change something in the actual description of the cache? I am planning to change my existing tube with a box and I want to remove the word "tube" from the description and replace it with "box". If I do so, does it go off line until vetted by the reviewer?

Thanks

No, but...

Changing the text on the listing of a Tradicional cache, hardly will be a problem... as long you don't make any commercial reference or to any other "agenda".

In case you need to change the coordinates of a Tradicional, you can, but only until some distance.

On Puzzles, may occur a problem, if you move the final point very far from the published coordinates, by instance... but the best way is to ask your reviewer.

Edited by RuideAlmeida

Thanks

No, but...

Changing the text on the listing of a Tradicional cache, hardly will be a problem... as long you don't make any commercial reference or to any other "agenda".

On Puzzles, may occur a problem, if you move the final point very far from the published coordinates, by instance... but the best way is to ask your reviewer.

Clear. No I am not going to do anything like that. I just want to modify one word and add a message to congratulate with the cacher who was FTF. :) Thanks

You'll only need a reviewer if you want to change cache type (traditional, multi, puzzle) and/or listing or waypoint coordinates more than a certain amount (do not recall exactly, 0.1 miles?). All other works without reviewer. But they will check it anyway, if there are heavy changes and the "new" listing violates the guidelines. Then they may deactivate or even archive the listing.

Another aspect is changing D/T rating and size. Some cachers need this for certain unofficial side games (i.e. "matrix caching"). They don't like it if there is a change after they had logged. Depends on your flameproof suit what you could risk there...(but that doesn't interest reviewers or Groundspeak much).

If it's just a change of "tube" to "square" I see no problem.

Edited by Ben0w

You'll only need a reviewer if you want to change cache type (traditional, multi, puzzle) and/or listing or waypoint coordinates more than a certain amount (do not recall exactly, 0.1 miles?). All other works without reviewer. But they will check it anyway, if there are heavy changes and the "new" listing violates the guidelines. Then they may deactivate or even archive the listing.

Another aspect is changing D/T rating and size. Some cachers need this for certain unofficial side games (i.e. "matrix caching"). They don't like it if there is a change after they had logged. Depends on your flameproof suit what you could risk there...(but that doesn't interest reviewers or Groundspeak much).

If it's just a change of "tube" to "square" I see no problem.

Thanks BenOw! all very clear!

You can change the name of the cache, the D/T ratings, the container size, the description, the hint, even the coordinates (as long as they are moved no further than 528 feet from the original published coordinates).

The cache does not need to be disabled just to edit the cache page.

Unless you are moving the cache more than 528 feet, you do not need the help of the Reviewer to make edits to your cache page.

The Help Center is a valuable resource for finders and hiders.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

3.12. Editing a Published Listing: Minor Change

You might wish to make minor changes to your geocache page after it has been published. Your geocache must still abide by the Guidelines.

To edit your listing, log in to your Geocaching.com account and display the listing. In the Navigation box in the upper right corner of the geocache page, use the "edit listing" link. That will take you to the original geocache report where you can edit the title, text, hint and geocache size. You can also edit the difficulty and terrain ratings. You may wish to make adjustments after a few finds on a new geocache, or if a geocache container has been replaced.

Once you have made the changes, scroll to the bottom of the form and click the "submit changes" link and the two buttons:

Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for listing a geocache.

Yes. I have read and agree to the terms of use agreement.

You will find that you cannot change the geocache type. Changing the geocache type will retroactively alter the statistics of all previous finders, so we do not allow this field to be edited.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol