Legacy Options on GS

I noticed while updating my facebook security settings a legacy option. This allowed that if a profile owner where to become incapacitated or upon death the intellectual property rights and page content became available for management by another member who was designated by the original profile owner.

As geocaching grows older and unfortunately all our time on earth is numbered I think each cache page should have the option or the option to delegate my page, password recovery options, and ownership of all caches to another person and avoid adoption problems.

Even though I am a newer cacher I am thinking of the long term for some of our jasmer caches.

We may even consider having the option to have someone reply on our behalf if we have not been active in 2-3 years or whatever.

Thanks for letting me post!

Just give that person your password and they can do all of that. They will have to adopt them. I don't know what you mean by problems the process is pretty simple.

Thanks for the idea but if you want to give your friend your car when you die you don't just give them a key.... you will it to them. If it was just as easy as giving a person a password then GS wouldn't know the difference between legitimate adoptions or someone who has a password or a hacked account.

In addition- it is a topic that is getting larger in the world as the internet matures. A must have discussion.

What you suggest goes far beyond the example you cite:

FB Legacy Option

More specifically:

Your legacy contact can't:

Remove or change past posts, photos and other things shared on your Timeline

Read messages you've sent to other friends

Remove any of your friends

That sounds completely different than the total control of the account you are suggesting. I also suspect that it would take quite an overhaul of the account options on the site in order to implement.

Regarding the continued maintenance of existing caches, we've had that discussion in our area in a couple of sad instances. In one situation, the family had no interest in keeping the Listings/containers going, so a few community members unofficially kept them going, but they eventually have reached the end of their cache life (in most instances) and have been Archived.

Philosophically, it seems the natural order of things on the site, living or dead, that cache owners come and go, and caches get replaced, new Listings get submitted, and life goes on.

What you suggest goes far beyond the example you cite:

FB Legacy Option

More specifically:

Your legacy contact can't:

Remove or change past posts, photos and other things shared on your Timeline

Read messages you've sent to other friends

Remove any of your friends

That sounds completely different than the total control of the account you are suggesting. I also suspect that it would take quite an overhaul of the account options on the site in order to implement.

Regarding the continued maintenance of existing caches, we've had that discussion in our area in a couple of sad instances. In one situation, the family had no interest in keeping the Listings/containers going, so a few community members unofficially kept them going, but they eventually have reached the end of their cache life (in most instances) and have been Archived.

Philosophically, it seems the natural order of things on the site, living or dead, that cache owners come and go, and caches get replaced, new Listings get submitted, and life goes on.

Thanks James.... I love the alternate viewpoints. I guess it all depends on what and whose vision we follow. Gracias

Just curious, since you didn't mention it in your OP, have you had this discussion with the person or persons that you intend to take over your account after you pass on?

The other option, if you didn't want to leave them the password to your account, is to write a letter (I'm not sure it even has to be a formal document) to have Groundspeak transfer the Listings you would like to continue, to their own account:

If the original geocache owner is inactive on our site and/or will not use the Geocaching Adoption Service, the interested new party must ask the original geocache owner to give Groundspeak written permission. The owner should inform us at http://www.geocaching.com/help from their Geocaching email account that this geocache can be adopted to the new party with their permission.

Adopting or Transferring a Geocache

Just curious, since you didn't mention it in your OP, have you had this discussion with the person or persons that you intend to take over your account after you pass on?

The other option, if you didn't want to leave them the password to your account, is to write a letter (I'm not sure it even has to be a formal document) to have Groundspeak transfer the Listings you would like to continue, to their own account:

If the original geocache owner is inactive on our site and/or will not use the Geocaching Adoption Service, the interested new party must ask the original geocache owner to give Groundspeak written permission. The owner should inform us at http://www.geocaching.com/help from their Geocaching email account that this geocache can be adopted to the new party with their permission.

Adopting or Transferring a Geocache

Thank you. I wonder if it needs to be certified by a notary.