Etrex 10 Waypoints

whereisit2350

Hi

I have an Etrex 10 and it has been fine for finding caches.

But when it comes to waypoints, it doesn’t seem to want to play.

I have been emailing Garmin but we seem to be going around in circles

I can download and manually enter waypoints.

But when I want to use one, it will go to the first cache sitting in my list of caches

Example:

Click.... Where To

Select .... Waypoints

I clicked on a Waypoint called 052DOEW

The waypoint is shown on the screen

I then clicked GO to use it

The first geocache in my geocache list which is called 'Brothertoft Belles' comes up on the screen and not the waypoint

I have Garmin Express V4.0.17.0 and Software Version 3.20

I haven’t installed Basecamp, could this be why?

Thanks for any help

Carole

No relation to BaseCamp. BaseCamp allows you to easily manage lists of User Data (waypoints, routes, tracks, geocaches) but is not required for using the GPSr at all.

That sounds like an issue with the unit itself. Garmin has a forum that you can get to from BaseCamp, but it appears to be only about the software that runs outside of any device, such as BaseCamp, MapSource and so on.

When I've had trouble with a Garmin device, I've opened a ticket in MyGarmin. It's been so long that I really can't describe how to do that just now; just can't remember. But if you haven't registered for MyGarmin, I'd start there and then check with them about this issue.

BTW, this issue does sound familiar to me, but I can't recall if it is something with bad software, incorrect usage, bad data, or what. Guess my memory is getting more and more feeble. I have an eTrex 20 and when I tell it to go to a waypoint, it does just that, even if Geocaches are in it. So it may be an issue with the unit that you have.

Thanks for your reply

I have emailed Garmin through their website ( Email Support) Would this be a ticket?

There are reference numbers on the emails that I am receiving back from them.

I have emailed them today with the example that I have given here, so now I suppose that I have to wait 3 days again for their reply!!!!

You are using the Geocaching dashboard display, I'll bet. That's what it does. It always points to the nearest geocache, even though you have selected a waypoint to navigate to. Change your dashboard to a different display style and this problem will go away.

You are using the Geocaching dashboard display, I'll bet. That's what it does. It always points to the nearest geocache, even though you have selected a waypoint to navigate to. Change your dashboard to a different display style and this problem will go away.

This matches my experience. An easy way to make the switch is to change profiles. Have one for geocaching with the geocaching dashboard and another that uses a different display. I think it comes with several already configured profiles one of which is recreational. Do a quick switch to that whenever you want to navigate to a waypoint.

Hi

Thanks for this info.

I have gone into

Setup

Profiles

and I can see a Profile for 'Recreational' but when I click into it,

I just have he options to

Edit Name

Move Down or

Delete

Can you tell me how to make the change to 'Recreational'

Thanks

You selected Setup which allows you to edit the GPS settings. You what to select Profile Change on the main menu, then Recreational.

Hi

I think that I have found a way to use my waypoints

Whereto

Waypoints

Go

Press Back

And select Compass

Press the Menu button on the left hand side of the Etrex

Change Dashboard

Select Recreational

It seems a bit long-winded but if it works, then I am happy to do this each time I want to use a waypoint.

Unless Garmin come up with an easier way, which at the moment doesn't seem likely.

The latest help, is to do a Master reset on the Etrex.

I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know the outcome

Thanks