GPSMAP 64s

ranumrd

I have just upgraded to a Garmin GPSMAP 64s, and am trying to find my way around it. I am trying to download geocaches but am having trouble going about doing it. When I used my GPSMAP 60CXs, I downloaded geocaches using MacCaching with no problem. It would appear that I cannot use MacCaching with the 64s, as I tried but when I hit the 'to GPS' button, it appeared as if the transfer when through but nothing appeared on the GPS or GPX folder.

I downloaded BaseCamp, and downloaded geocaches into that. However the geocaches became waypoints in BaseCamp and when I transferred them into the GPS, they went into Waypoint Manager.

My apologies if this has been covered previously. I have been looking through the forums and have learnt more about my 64s which is great. But I am really stuck on how to download geocaches, and all I really want to do is go geocaching!

Hi ranumrd;

I was thinking that you were going to have more questions. You've been away from geocaching for about 1½ years. You have a new GPSMAP64s and you had to relearn from using a 60 series.

You don't need BaseCamp or MacCaching to load your unit. Being a Premium Member, you can run and download a Pocket Query and load it directly into your GPSr without any "go-between" program. It works the same with a Mac as it does with a PC.

Run and download the PQ data to your computer >

If the download is a single, ZIPPED file, you must unzip it -- there will be two .gpx files after unzipping >

Plug in and activate your GPSr as discussed prior >

Access the GARMIN/GPX folder through the computer >

Using your mouse, click-drag and drop each of those two files into the GARMIN/GPX folder >

Turn off the GPSr and dismount it from the computer.

You should now be set to go get some geocaches.

If not familiar with Pocket Queries, here is a by-the-number how-to link: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

Good Luck, and have fun.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Hi ranumrd;

I was thinking that you were going to have more questions. You've been away from geocaching for about 1½ years. You have a new GPSMAP64s and you had to relearn from using a 60 series.

You don't need BaseCamp or MacCaching to load your unit. Being a Premium Member, you can run and download a Pocket Query and load it directly into your GPSr without any "go-between" program. It works the same with a Mac as it does with a PC.

Run and download the PQ data to your computer >

If the download is a single, ZIPPED file, you must unzip it -- there will be two .gpx files after unzipping >

Plug in and activate your GPSr as discussed prior >

Access the GARMIN/GPX folder through the computer >

Using your mouse, click-drag and drop each of those two files into the GARMIN/GPX folder >

Turn off the GPSr and dismount it from the computer.

You should now be set to go get some geocaches.

If not familiar with Pocket Queries, here is a by-the-number how-to link: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

Good Luck, and have fun.