gps coords

KimberlyAnn327

I was solving a mystery cache but when I figured out the coordinates and put them into google maps, it tells me that it can't find it. I know the coordinates are correct. Can someone help me figure out how to do this?

Did you put the corrected coordinates in field on the cache page?

Once you've done that, they will be available to you to input into your gps.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I was solving a mystery cache but when I figured out the coordinates and put them into google maps, it tells me that it can't find it. I know the coordinates are correct. Can someone help me figure out how to do this?

Hi KimberlyAnn

I think the problem is a Coordinate Format difference between Geocaching and Google Maps. I avoid Google Maps most of the time, so I won't speak as an authority on them. But I do know coordinate systems.

I suspect (by looking at your early find record) that you are located quite close to this event being held tomorrow evening: Third Wednesday , Eleventh Year, April 2015 GC5Q03B

Click Here - April Third Wednesday Event Link

If you are able to attend, we will find someone to answer your question. Bring along your calculated data. If it is one of the MANY local puzzles I have not yet solved, perhaps I could learn something from you as well. If you are not able to attend tomorrow, we meet EVERY month somewhere in the County. Or send me am email (not that newly rolled out Better Mistake Message Center beta). Does that even work when the Website is down for maintenance?

Join us monthly on a regular basis, and get to know the local cachers. I guarantee you will never have to come to the Forums again with this type of question. Your new friends will be able to provide however much help you need.

Edited by Cardinal Red

I guarantee you will never have to come to the Forums again with this type of question. Your new friends will be able to provide however much help you need.

:unsure:

:blink:

It's too bad that no one here in the GS forum attempts to help newbies, eh?

<_<

Getting to know the local cachers through events is a good thing. But I don't think that it's necessary to dismiss or ignore the experience and help that one can find on this forum.

B.

I guarantee you will never have to come to the Forums again with this type of question. Your new friends will be able to provide however much help you need.

:unsure:

:blink:

It's too bad that no one here in the GS forum attempts to help newbies, eh?

<_<

Getting to know the local cachers through events is a good thing. But I don't think that it's necessary to dismiss or ignore the experience and help that one can find on this forum.

B.

You are welcome to read anything into my post you like. But I stand by the opinion that not needing to come here because you can now ask local contacts is the better option. Spin that into dismissive and ignoring.

And KimberlyAnn ... I promise, we do not talk to each other that way at Events. Please do stop by and say hello.

to enter coordinates into google, there are several formats that will work

eg.

N51 12.423 W114 02.321

51.2071 -114.0387

N51° 12' 25" W114° 02' 19"

There may be more formats that work, I just show these as examples

This should give you 2 locations on the map. One for the acctual coordinates, and one for the closest address.

Edit to add: you can put a comma between the NS and EW (eg. N51 12.423, W114 02.321).

Edited by Andronicus