Adding a completion code

jellis

Okay RF I think we talked about a tutorial or FAQ. Here is another one. My cartridge is done. I got it published and even have some finders who raved how easy and flawless it was. Now they did say it is minus a completion code. When and where does this go in the cartridge and is it too late to put one in and how?

I'm sure Ranger Fox will come along and correct any errors:

You can edit a cart and upload a new version any time.

At some point in the cart, you'll need to create the "cart complete = true" statement. This is one of the standard statements available, you're not generating code from scratch. Typically you'd add this to the zone where the physical cache is.

The completion actual code statement:

[[completioncode is :]] .. Player.CompletionCode

You can add text between the double brackets, don't alter the remainder.

One of mine (from memory) below:

[[Congratulations! you have completed the cartridge play and, I hope, found the cache. To log the cartridge as complete at Wherigo you need this code. completioncode is :]] .. Player.CompletionCode

The actual code is generated uniquely on each download.

It attaches to the Username of the person downloading. You won't know what it is.

It CAN be shared - I could send you a completion code, and you'd have to state "with palmetto" (or something to that effect, i don't quite recall how it's worded) if you used it to log complete a particular cart.

Edited by palmetto

It depends on the builder app you're using.

Groundspeak's Builder

Earwigo

Urwigo

As for Wherigo\\kit, it automatically creates a completion code item and sticks it in the player's inventory.

For palmetto's example, it would work in Groundspeak's Builder if she added " .. [[" to the end of it (minus the double quotes, of course).

It's good palmetto mentioned the part about sharing completion codes because I would have forgotten to mention that. People just have to tell the site whose completion code it is. Also, the two sites, Groundspeak and Wherigo Foundation, have completion codes that are incompatible with each other. I never did figure out how Groundspeak was generating theirs. I generate mine in what I call "the stupid way", which involves encrypting the user's name and internal cartridge ID.

-----

One last thing:

Much like geocaching's FTF game, it is destructive to a community if one or two people always answer the questions (or get the FTFs). So I won't answer every question that comes up, nor even half of them. I love to see everyone helping everyone, but that won't happen if I constantly answer the questions.

Kit automatically shows the player's completion code two ways: 1) A dialog box and 2) An unlock code item.

When all your questions and messages have been shown to the player, Kit puts a final message box with the completion code at the end and moves an unlock code item to the player's inventory. This is standard for all cartridges Kit produces.

There isn't any point to unlocking cartridges in Groundspeak's Wherigo site. You get the little green banner, but it doesn't help you filter cartridges, nor does it show anyone else who many cartridges you unlocked. There needs to be a purpose to make it entertaining. It's like finding a cache and logging it online, but not being able to filter out the ones you found or seeing everyone's find count. You lose something of the game.