Add GPS coordinates to pictures metadata

Several years and a least one PC ago, I found some software listed on the Geocaching site that would take the information from your GPS, match the date/time stamp with the date/time you took the picture and add the coordinates to the picture. Of course, now that I want to find the software again, I have forgotten where I found it and I do not see it on the Geocaching site. Does anyone know of any windows based app that will do this?? I can buy a GPS attachment for my camera, but some freeware is a much cheaper solution.

Several years and a least one PC ago, I found some software listed on the Geocaching site that would take the information from your GPS, match the date/time stamp with the date/time you took the picture and add the coordinates to the picture. Of course, now that I want to find the software again, I have forgotten where I found it and I do not see it on the Geocaching site. Does anyone know of any windows based app that will do this?? I can buy a GPS attachment for my camera, but some freeware is a much cheaper solution.

I use GeoSetter works like a charm

If you have the time on your camera pretty well synchronized with your GPS, and if you make a track on your Gamin unit whilst taking the photos (lots of IFs), then Garmin's BaseCamp program can modify the EXIF data in your photos to match the points in the track. I've never done it myself, but the Garmin help system explains how to do it. Won't work with photos that were taken without the above conditions (using a Garmin, time synchronization, track being made at the same time).

I use geosetter myself. Would really love to purchase one of the new cameras that has GPS reception in it.

Just a quick suggestion - Not exactly easiest but it sort of works...

If you have a smart phone - camera and gps tagging ability - shoot one photo with the cell phone. It won't give you exact coords unless you are taking a photo of the ground while standing at the exact spot you want to mark.

I carry a Garmin HCx and a digital camera. Yes, it is a PITA. Having to put a description into the GPS, then average the coords, get home and dump the coords into BaseCamp and then copy and past into Waymarking.

Feel free to invent something for the rest of us to use!

I carry a Garmin GPSMap. My main purpose is to tag where the photo was taken, not the exact location of what is being photographed. Of course, even if you are standing on the exact spot of what you want to mark a normal civilian grade GPS will still only be within several feet. Not sure many of us have a military grade GPS. My new web site (CWBFM.org) looks at the metadata and if it finds the GPS info, it will display the coordinates along with the photo.

By the way, this is on the flip side: once you do have the information in your photo:

There is a neat extension for Chrome (and perhaps other browsers) that lets you see the EXIF data in your photo on the web, simply by hovering the mouse cursor over the photo. By default, the EXIF data appears at the top left of the photo. The extension has options as to what to display. I make sure that the coordinates are visible by removing (or moving) stuff that I don't care about, like the camera model, f-stop setting, and so on. You can even click on the GPS coordinates and it'll take you to a map of the location with a marker at the coordinates.

This is really off topic, but I used the extension to check Facebook's privacy. I uploaded a photo that I had used geosetter to put in the location information (coordinates, elevation, address). When I hover over that photo there is no EXIF data there at all. Not even the boring stuff that was already in the photo before I used geosetter, like the camera model. Facebook strips all of the EXIF data out of uploaded photos, which is good for a social media site. (Though 'twould be nice if it were an option.)

It's a good thing Waymarking doesn't. I don't always take the time to use geosetter to set the location. But when I do, I can use the extension to check my coordinates. Especially since the Waymarking map still doesn't work half of the time.

I'm in agreement with what Lat34North says. In photo EXIF data, I am only concerned with the coordinates of where the photo was shot from. That is good enough to figure out where something is located. (The EXIF data also allows you to enter the direction that shot was taken, and a distance, if you wish.)