Garmin 62s

peterscache12

Hi. I've just received my Garmin 62s GPS today. I've already managed to load caches onto it, and view them on the GPS. I need any and all help as to how to turn on/off viewing geocaches on the map, and how to load and view waypoints on the map. (I'm using a free topographic map of Washington from Switchbacks.com, works great.) Also, any additional info you could give as to how to navigate and use features more efficiently (for geocaching, and trail hiking.) Thanks in advance.

Also any thoughts for higher trail visibility. My gc's are clogging up search by waypoint, so I also can't navigate to a waypoint I have made.

To navigate to a waypoint you have created, use the Find button to locate it in the list you're presented with and then press the Enter key and your GPS will start navigating to that waypoint. You don't need to see your waypoint on the map to navigate to it although using the cursor to point at a point is an additional method of selecting a point to navigate to.

I advise you to go to Jim Cyr's channel on YouTube and watch his videos. They helped me enormously when I was starting off. Here is a link to a playlist of videos on the 62s.

You can adjust the zoom level of the map so the geocaches are not visible until the map is zoomed to a close level. Go to the map settings, advanced, zoom menu.

You can set different profiles for geocaching and other recreational uses so that you can quickly switch between activities. Some use the geocaching dashboard with the map, personally I prefer small data fields with the pointer and information I need when hiking to a cache, but there are a number of ways to customize the unit to your liking.

The Garmin 62 Wiki has a lot of information about the unit.

Edited by geodarts

Hello all!

I am trying to download to a GPSMAP 62sc. I get a message that I need the current version of the communication software. When I go to Garmin, the unit and serial number are detected and it says I have the current version of the plug in. Am I not doing something ???

Hello all!

I am trying to download to a GPSMAP 62sc. I get a message that I need the current version of the communication software. When I go to Garmin, the unit and serial number are detected and it says I have the current version of the plug in. Am I not doing something ???

Hi, this is a common issue, if you search the forums you will find the answer. Basically I think you are using IE as your browser and you will need to add Groundspeak to the compatibility list. It's all detailed elsewhere. Alternatively if you are a premium member, I haven't checked, simply drag and drop a PQ into the garmin / gpx folder, preferably on an sd card. Sorry can't be more specific at moment, no time. Good luck.

Thank you!

I did a search and found a thread from early 2013 discussing problems associated with IE9. I currently have IE11, but going to "tools", "compatibility" and adding geocaching.com to the list resolved the issue. I was then able to download directly to my GPS.

Thanks again...

Foster Bear