Heads up- Wisconsin DNR has developed a Geocaching policy

WGA

For those who didn't get this info at the picnic...

I received a phone call from Wi State Parks. They were requesting my mailing address so they can mail us the DNR's policy on Geocaching. This was supposed to go out in last Friday's mail, so hopefully I will receive it soon.

In our phone conversation, they indicated that their managers have met and developed a policy to govern Geocaching. They stated is is mostly based off the policy recommendation that the WGA developed and submitted to the DNR.

It is most likely going to REQUIRE permission and/or notification to the land manager when a cache is placed. They also hinted that differenty types of land may have different rules, ie: Parks vs. SNA's.

I'm wondering what will be in the works for pre-existing caches? Will we need to get permission for them, or will the be grandfathered?

Once I get this policy in my hands, you can bet that we will get it posted on the website ASAP. We also need to really get the word out to ALL Geocachers that we now have "X" policy in place for State lands.

We have a lot of cachers in Wisconsin that never visit our WGA website, and thus, are not aware of these developments.

Stay tuned for further developments, and keep your fingers crossed that the policy is something we can live with!

Admin-Brian

wga-admin@wi-geocaching.com

what happened in MN?

MI decided to zap the game and wildlife areas but the rest is still open. We encourage people to get permission, but have as of yet been unable to get an 'official' policy from them on geocaching.

Our conversations with them ended up with basically "don't tick us off and you're okay for now." We plan to revisit in the winter when they (might) have more time to discuss it. They are pretty busy in the summer.

I'm interested in seeing what other states have come up with and how it went down.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

When the Minnesota DNR heard about geocaching, they banned it altogether, until they can study it and find out how much liability they would have if a cache hunter got hurt and to find out how much environmental impact geocaching has. We (the mngca) are currently working with the Minnesota DNR to get caches approved again for State Parks.

"Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles. What do we live for if not to make the world less difficult for each other?"--George Eliot

MnGCA-Button.gif

Brian and I have been in contact with the Wisconsin DNR for more than a year. We've gone through several drafts of a proposed policy and now we're sitting on pins and needles waiting for a copy of the rules from the DNR. They hinted that we will be pleased with it, so we're cautiously optimistic. I just wish they would mail the darn thing so we know what's in it.

banner-small.gif