updating maps on Montana?

zeus661

When I bought my Montana I purchased the maps already on the SD card and installed the card. I am ready to update the maps again.

Can I remove the SD card, purchase, download, and install the new CN onto the internal memory of the GPS?

Or should I install and blank SD card and install it on there?

What are my best options instead on purchasing it on an SD card?

When I bought my Montana I purchased the maps already on the SD card and installed the card. I am ready to update the maps again.

Can I remove the SD card, purchase, download, and install the new CN onto the internal memory of the GPS?

If you buy on DVD the content is locked to one handset.

If you buy on SD card the maps can be moved around if you upgrade the handset later. You can also sell the original SD card if you no longer need it as it will work in other handsets.

In both cases the maps can be viewed in the latest release of Garmin's BaseCamp PC software.

If you buy on DVD the content is locked to one handset.

If you buy on SD card the maps can be moved around if you upgrade the handset later. You can also sell the original SD card if you no longer need it as it will work in other handsets.

In both cases the maps can be viewed in the latest release of Garmin's BaseCamp PC software.

Good points now the other side.

If you want to install other maps I.e. TOPO you are limited to the ram which isn't all that much when using 24k TOPO.

When you run into the well know "I've lost my caches" in the field you will not be able to recover because the GPX file is on the unit not the sdcard.

Basecamp rakes forever to read map files that big and you gave to have the device hooked up. With the DVD you can use the map anytime.

Edited by Walts Hunting