Changing screen display order in Etrex 20

I just bought an Etrex 20 for MsKitty. I have gotten most of the customizable features figured out, but one thing still eludes me. Been searching and reading or a couple of days now with no luck.

I'll walk through what's happening as opposed to what we want to happen.

I click "Where to?"

I Select and click "Geocaches"

I get the list of caches and select one and click on it.

The screen goes to a map with cache icons and GO at the bottom.

I click GO, and it changes to another more detailed map with the course to the cache marked.

I have to press the back button 3 times to get the compass pointer to search for the cache!

I would like to get the screen to just jump to the pointer once I select and click on the cache in the list, or at least after I click GO

Having to back out three screens seems a lot of extra clicking for nothing!

Any help would be appreciated.

BC

Hi BC, long time since we chatted...

I'm not really an expert with E20, but set up some we got for our SAR group.

I did take two out in the field Geocaching etc. Something I remember is perhaps related.

I never had a problem with the Find options... as in Find> Geocaches or Waypoints> Select from list (nearest or by name options) then simply click at bottom right of the info page to Goto. On ours I went direct to the "compass" display. I had 4 optional fields boxes at the top, Accuracy, Time, Distance to, Bearing, for detail and the "compass" display at the bottom, for quick relative bearing indicator as I approached. I seldom use the map (around here it was useless blank, until I did some OSM editing and loaded them up). I did change the page display order so that I got that, but... See page 39 of the online manual, I believe it is also in the E20 USB memory.

However, I'm not sure that that is what you were talking about. I'm lost also in the need to "back".

We were teaching to use "Quit" to back out of things we were unsure of. Can't honestly remember when they were new units, but I seem to recall that it did go to the map first, and that we used "page" to get the "compass" until I changed the order... perhaps that works.

Always glad to chat via PM or email as well...

EDIT: Wow, my mind was blurring several GPSes there...

OK... I reviewed the controls... Back is fine, no page button... etc.

Order change info was right place, other customization begins on Page 28.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Hey

Thanks for the reply

I was wondering for a while if you have a different Etrex 20 that I do! Then I saw your edit :lol:

I see the page 39 you refer to and can do all that, but that seems to be concerning the page order when the unit starts, not it's behaviour when selecting and going to a geocache.

What I'm trying to do is get it to jump right to the compass pointer after clicking GO, instead of the map first and then needing to navigate the screens to find the pointer.

How do you get geo cache and other new items to show up under the where to menu? Or to add them in. If I press menu, then change order menu it comes up with other items I can select to move, like geo cache but it didn't even show up under where to before, and then after I move it, I still cant get it to show up in the where to menu.

Think I figured it out, I am guessing I have to add Where To , to my page sequence.

Edited by Forkeye

How do you get geo cache and other new items to show up under the where to menu? Or to add them in. If I press menu, then change order menu it comes up with other items I can select to move, like geo cache but it didn't even show up under where to before, and then after I move it, I still cant get it to show up in the where to menu.

Think I figured it out, I am guessing I have to add Where To , to my page sequence.

Well, I just got this so don't know much about it, but the geocaches category won't show up under "where to" if you don't have any caches loaded.

Maybe that's why you can't see it. The waypoint category won't show up either if you don't have any loaded.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Ok this is how mine works

Select where to

Pick geo cache

Small map shows cache with go at btm of screen

Select go, since I am at home, it now shows map with direct route to cache from home

Now I press page button the top right button

And since in my setup I selected the compass page to follow my map page, I now see the compass arrow to the cache

Since you dont have a compass , just set up your trip computer to follow your map page and add the pointer to one of your field boxes

Perhaps your screen order just needs to be changed

I think this is the only way to get what you want

Edited by Forkeye

Hey ... thanks for the answers ...I finally got it figured out.

It was a combination of things that I was over thinking.

Glad to hear you are getting there... I managed to talk to one of our SAR group that has a personal E20.

She agreed that I used to do it on the one I was learning, and on one that appeared to have a problem that was actually 'Brane and fingers'. In fact she wondered why I did it that way (as described) since she did not.

So it wasn't a dream on my part. Or a blurred memory (possible). All the manual talks about was the E30 electronic compass, but I was sure the 20 has/had the usual 'compass' bearing indicator.

Hope you enjoy it... it seems to like maps. I use the OpenStreetMaps and find them both free and detailed, not to mention you can help improve them.

Doug 7rxc