Simple question: List of all categories?

JSK-Cacher

Hi, just a short question with regard to Waymarking: Where can I find a complete list of all existing (active) categories? I searched the forums, scrolled through the website, and asked Google but didn't find anything compending.

And just a follow-up: If I wish to have a new category set up, how do I do that?

Thanks to you all! Excuse my silly questions please.

I had the same questions when I started.

Go to any Waymarking page and scroll down looking through the links on the right. You'll see a heading called Miscellaneous: which has three links. The middle one is Full Category List. Click that.

As to how to start a category: individuals cannot start categories. They are started by groups of individuals that have gone through the process of studying the requirements for making a category and have tried to document their new category in a manner that meets the requirements.

I'll stop at that, because it is a complex process that is documented elsewhere on the Waymarking site. I've never tried to start a category, yet. After some time of making the best Waymarks that I could make, and joining some open groups as just a member (someone who is interested in the groups' category/ies), I was invited to be an officer in a couple of groups. But I wasn't around when those groups were formed or their categories. Best to look for the documentation in the help pages on that.

Edited by MountainWoods

BTW, although Waymarking is quite a bit different from Geocaching, one lesson is common in both: you might want to do more Waymarking (both visits and posting new Waymarks into existing categories) before trying to do the create a category thing. I noticed that you have one visit to your credit and no new waymarks. I'd suggest getting into the hobby more before trying the more complex side of it. Anyway, that's my opinion.