etrex 10 help needed!

U.N.C.L.E.

Throwing myself at the mercy of others more technologically-savvy than myself! I have been using an etrex 10 for 18 months. It has worked fine. Suddenly GPX cache files will download from gc.com and will be listed as being present in the receiver but when you go to "Geocaches" (listing the nearest twenty) all freshly loaded caches will not display (even though they ARE in the nearest twenty). Caches downloaded before yesterday still display fine. I have not altered any settings on the receiver. I checked the Garmin Communicator plugin I am using is the latest version and it is. I am downloading from a PC. Downloaded updates to Adobe Flash Player and Java two days ago and this problem has only occurred since then. Coincidence or a possible explanation? Is anyone aware of a fault with gc.com downloads? I really am not tech savvy so any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Have you deleted old caches (GPX files) from the GPS? There is a limit of 200 files on the GPS. If you are downloading caches directly, each one will make a new file and it fills up quickly.

Absolutely! All files are deleted after the cache is found. There would be, at most, thirty cache files on the receiver.

And to confirm, by PC, you mean Windows? If you are running a MAC, you need to empty the trash as well.

Also make sure there are no other GPX files somewhere else in another directory.

When you look in the directory of the GPS, the GPX files are there in the \Garmin\GPX\ directory?

Try deleting all GPX files, reboot the GPS, install some GPX files and reboot again.

If this all fails, you may need to do a hard reset of the GPS.

And to confirm, by PC, you mean Windows? If you are running a MAC, you need to empty the trash as well.

Also make sure there are no other GPX files somewhere else in another directory.

When you look in the directory of the GPS, the GPX files are there in the \Garmin\GPX\ directory?

Try deleting all GPX files, reboot the GPS, install some GPX files and reboot again.

If this all fails, you may need to do a hard reset of the GPS.

Thank you for helping me with this. My lack of tech-knowledge may be coming to the fore here!

I have been through all the various files that appear when you connect the receiver to the computer (and yes, a PC running Windows). I cannot see any hidden GPX files. All the GPX files are in the directory where they have always gone.

I will delete all GPX files as you suggest. Reboot (I assume you mean turn off and on?), load some fresh GPX files, reboot and try again.

If that doesn't work what is a "hard reset"?

Yes, turn off and on.

See here for the reset information: https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7Bd10af480-1fc5-11e1-73d0-000000000000%7D There is also some more possible things to try there.

Have done as suggested. Deleted all GPX files and done a master reset as per Garmin's instructions. Downloaded a cache near to home to test and when I went to Nearest Geocaches got the message "No results found- Try adjusting search parameters". Went to menu and selected "Search near" and "My current Location" and still nothing.

After the reset, you need to make sure the GPS finds your location. If it has not found your location, search nearest won't work as there is a distance limit. Search by name to really see if it is there.

How do I know if it has found my location. Do you mean waiting to ensure that the device has picked up satellite coverage after turning it back on or does it mean something else? What do you mean "search by name"?

BTW, if I input the co-ords for a cache manually as a waypoint the receiver works perfectly. It is just GPX files that are tripping it up.

Sorry to be difficult !!!! Really am appreciating your help.

Yes, that it has found satellites and knows your location. After a reset, it will not know where you are. Search by nearest is limited to 100 miles. To search by name, press the menu key (I think) when at the search screen.

It definitely has picked up satellites and the test cache I'm using is only about 200 metres from where I am.

I'm just booting up my old PC that I used to download caches until about a year ago. I'm interested to see if I can get a file downloaded via that to work properly on the etrex. Probably a stab in the dark but I don't like coincidences and it seems coincidence that the trouble started immediately after downloading updates to my PC. Will let you know what happens (should take a minute or two). Failing that, do you think I have an etrex 10 that has gone rogue?

Yes, that it has found satellites and knows your location. After a reset, it will not know where you are. Search by nearest is limited to 100 miles. To search by name, press the menu key (I think) when at the search screen.

It definitely has picked up satellites and the test cache I'm using is only about 200 metres from where I am.

I'm just booting up my old PC that I used to download caches until about a year ago. I'm interested to see if I can get a file downloaded via that to work properly on the etrex. Probably a stab in the dark but I don't like coincidences and it seems coincidence that the trouble started immediately after downloading updates to my PC. Will let you know what happens (should take a minute or two). Failing that, do you think I have an etrex 10 that has gone rogue?

Nope. Made no difference downloading the GPX file from another PC. At least that is eliminated and we can be certain that the fault is internal to the etrex. When it says "Adjust your search parameters" what does it mean? I pressed the menu key and it gave me the options of Spell Search, Search Near, Apply filter, Show found and Setup Geocaches. I selected "Search Near". What would the other options offer me? Is there some other way of setting up search parameters that I may not be aware of?

Try the spell search and it should show everything.

Also try, show found in case it thinks you found the cache already.

Other than that I have no idea. You can phone Garmin and they can remote access your computer and GPS and might be able to see what is wrong.

I took the offending etrex 10 to a Garmin agent and they have just phoned to say that they reloaded the software with the latest version and all is now functioning perfectly. They have no explanation for what may have happened and it is the first time they have encountered anything like this with an etrex 10. So a happy ending even if we don't know exactly what happened. Many thanks for your help. I learned a lot about the etrex 10 from your advice!