sending to gps

kn004

Here are the directions for generating a Pocket Query:

http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=118

When you generate a Pocket Query, the results are saved as a special type of file called a GPX file. If the query results in 500 caches or less, the resulting GPX file will be e-mailed to you. If it's between 500 and 1,000 caches you can download the resulting file from the Pocket Queries section under your profile.

When you recieve the GPX file, either by email or downloaded directly from the site, I suggest creating a folder on your computer, somewhere where you can easily find it, just for your GPX downloads. Save the GPX file to this folder. I also recommend renaming the file to something you'll be able to easily identify....maybe the date generated or anything else that you'll recognize.

Now, how to get the GPX file to your device may vary a bit from one device to another. What brand and model of GPS are you using? I'm only familiar with Garmins. On my Garmin Oregon 550, when I plug it in to the computer, the computer sees it as an additional drive. Open that drive and just drag and drop the GPX file to the device. Done.

The process may be a little different with a different brand, so if you let us know what brand/model you have we can probably help you out a little better.

Edited by Chief301

Sorry to interfere with your question but I have the same problem getting the .gpx to my Garmin eTrex 20. My problem is that I am using a Mac. I can open the device but do not know where to transfer the files to. I see a GPX folder and have tried putting them in there but when I start up the GPS and use maps to test whether they are in there or not I do not see them. Thanks for any help you can give.

On my resource site I've written a number of 'how to' documents (Adobe PDF) which explain doing a PQ and transferring it to your GPS. It assumes you are using Windows but all you are doing is transferring files from the PC to the GPS so the process is the same with a MAC.

http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/resources/paperless.html - docs at the bottom of the page.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website