How can I format text in Wherigo Kit?

Schizziblixt

Hello,

this may be a very "noobish" question... but I just cannot figure out how to format text (messages or questions) in the Wherigo Kit.

When I see my text in the Wherigo Kit Editor, all is well.

When I open the cartridge (gwc) in the Emulator the Umlaute are correct but the line breaks are gone.

And when I open the compiled cartridge in WhereYouGo (Android), all line breaks are gone and the Umlaute are messed up.

Is there any way to get proper German Umlaute after compiling the cartridge? Or any way to have bold text? Or even change the font size?

Many thanks in advance

Jörn

Is there no way to insert a line break into an Action -> Question?

I'm creating a dual language file, and would like both Norwegian and English language.

How it is now:

(NO) Dette er en teste. Jeg vil gjerne ha separate

linjer mellom språkene. ---- (EN) This is a test.

I would like to have a line break between languages.

Heres how I would like it:

(NO) Dette er en test. Jeg vil gjerne ha separate

linjer mellom språkene.

(EN) This is a test. I would like to have a line

break between languages.

It would look much cleaner to separate the languages. I know a friend of mine did it when creating his, but he doesn't remember how (he only made one cartridge, and had a lot of help). He said he'd send me the code in a few days or a week or so. Hopefully that'll help me. I see line breaks in the kit, but when it's compiled and I run it on my phone or Garmin, the line breaks are gone and all text are wrapped together. That's why I seaparated it with something like ----. It just doesn't look good. :)

Is there a way to break the line, either in the kit or in the .lua file?

Thanks for creating this great Wherigo kit! It's really easy! :)

Merry Christmas!

Edit: The best would probably to have this work in the kit. If I change the code manually, I guess I would need a separate builder. :/

Edited by vatvedt

That would be a line break in this line I guess:

zinputInput0.Text=[[(NO) Hva er slagordet på kommunevaapnet til Halden? ---- (EN) What is the slogan on Haldens municipal coat of arms?]]

If it was HTML (which it isn't of course), I would have something like this instead:

zinputInput0.Text=[[(NO) Hva er slagordet på kommunevaapnet til Halden? <br><br> (EN) What is the slogan on Haldens municipal coat of arms?]]

Thanks for the quick reply. The line break shows in the kit, but when I build it to gwc and play it on my android phone or Garmin, the line break is gone.

Edit: I haven't tested my own cartridge in the emulator when it comes to the line breaks, though. The most important thing is for it to work on smartphones and Garmins. For some reason, that doesn't seem to work for me.

Edited by vatvedt

I tried removing the images, but no change.

Removed all the zones, and created a new one with just a question with a line break. Still no go. See image.

post-2809797-072547200 1387841288_thumb.png

Any ideas as to why? Change browser?

Edit: Here's the basic Test cartridge if you want to see. Only one Zone, just to test. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7551127/Test.gwc

Maybe you'll find out what I'm doing wrong. :)

Edit 2: Here's the .zip if you want to look at the code: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7551127/Test.zip

Edited by vatvedt

I'll look at this issue later today (it's almost 2AM on Christmas Eve). The first thing I will consider is a difference between key codes (that's the first thing I can think of, at least). You zip file will be very helpful in comparing what I can download as a zip and what you did.

This will be very helpful to know for when I expand Kit and do some other things to the Wherigo Foundation site.

When I download the cartridge from Wherigo.com, the cartridge details description is lost. If I download it manually from your Wherigo\\kit, the description is still there. Any reason why It cuts it? :)

Tried both the publish to Wherigo site function and manual upload. Seems the description is cut when you choose the device for it to play on when downloading from Wherigo.com. Just a guess.

Edit: Nevermind. Even though it cuts it, it's my fault for not filling out the long description field. :D Sorry!

Edited by vatvedt

And the mystery deepens. I took the zip file you posted, opened it in Groundspeak's builder, compiled, and ran it in the emulator. It's interesting it works for me... hmm... I wonder if it's a difference between how our computers interpret line break characters? Are you able to use another tool, such as Urwigo, to create something with a line break? If so, can you please post that? I want to compare the hex codes between the different cartridges to see if we're using the same ones to denote line breaks.

post-633150-040947300 1387995008_thumb.jpg

Seems like it's working in Urwigo, but it's a lot less user friendly than Wherigo\\kit! :)

Is there a way for me to export my project from Wherigo\\kit, and just build it in Urwigo? To get the line breaks working?

Until you may be able to find a fix.

Here's some data for you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7551127/Test.urwigo

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7551127/Urwigo_Test.gwc

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7551127/Urwigo_Test.gwz

Didn't find a way to make a .zip with .lua. Tell me if you need more data. Thanks! :)

Okay,

I did some testing with my Cartridge...

After saving as gwc and running the cartridge in the Emulator it shows no line-breaks but the german Umlaute (ä, ö, ü) are shown correctly.

Running the same cartridge in WhereYouGo (Android) there are still no line-breaks but the Umlaute are shown not correctly.

Opening an exportetd gwz of the same cartridge in Earwigo and just compiling it as gwc again, I get correct line-breaks in the Emulator but wrong Umlaute (all Umlaute as Question Marks).

Running it in WhereYouGo the line-breaks are still ok and the Umlaute are still not ok.

I took a look at both lua-files (Kit and Earwigo) and in the Kit-lua-file the line-breaks are missing. In Earwigo-lua-file the line-breaks are visible.

But what i just could not understand is: I used the gwz from Kit to import in Earwigo - how can Earwigo "detect" the line-breaks if they are not present in the lua-file?

Is there additional information in the gwz-file??? And... yes indeed, there is! The Kit-created gwz-file has the line-breaks and the Kit-created lua-file does not have them!

Is that helpful in any way? Even if I can create the line-breaks now, I still cannot get any Umlaute in WhereYouGo...

The only two things I use Urwigo for now, is the line breaks and the cartridge image.

For some reason, the image for the cartridge isn't carried on into the compiled GWC (for me at least), or into Urwigo. So I do the changes I like in Wherigo\\kit, import .lua (from the .zip) from Wherigo\\kit into Urwigo, set the "game" image for the cartridge (the one that shows when you first open the game on Android, with the author, etc) and build the GWZ to upload to Wherigo.com.

This seems to work for me. Would be great to be able to skip the Urwigo step, though. Even though, Wherigo\\kit is a great tool and I would recommend it to everyone! Hope those two steps get fixed. At least the line break issue.

I can't get the Scandinavian characters æøåÆØÅ working either, but don't think that's specifically to Wherigo\\kit. Can't make them work right in Urwigo either, so I dropped the use of those characters. It would look a lot better using them, but we do have "alternate characters" æøå = ea oe and aa.

Okay,

some more short info:

I tested with Earwigo because I remembered I had a cartridge that supportet Umlaute on my Andoid phone with WhereYouGo.

Here is what I found in Earwigo: German Umlaute do not work in the cartridge description but they do work inside a message-text. Maybe the scandinavian characters will work there too!?!

Earwigo-lua has line-breaks with <br> and Kit-lua does not have them...

I tested with Earwigo because I remembered I had a cartridge that supportet Umlaute on my Andoid phone with WhereYouGo.

Here is what I found in Earwigo: German Umlaute do not work in the cartridge description but they do work inside a message-text.

Earwigo-lua has line-breaks with <br> and Kit-lua does not have them...

Special characters (e.g. German Umlaut) will never work in any cartridge description because that becomes part of the GS Wherigo description (if I remember correctly ;) ). Any unusual characters in the GS Wherigo description will cause the GS compiler to freak out.

For those interested in Earwigo: If you are willing to give Earwigo a try it should solve most of your problems with regards to national characters. It should also solve the line break issue. Since you have already had a look into other builders you are aware that Kit helps you a lot to get your first cartridge out there in a short time. If you switch to Earwigo you will have better control over the cartridge but you will also need more time to learn how to use it.

Earwigo has a substantial tutorial that might give you an impression what you have to expect when you sign up for it. http://www.earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku.php?id=create_your_first_cartridge

Here are the instructions how to get Earwigo http://www.earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku.php?id=getting_started

P.S. @Schizziblixt Your GS profile is somehow messed up. I am unable to see any geocaching activity at all.

Edited by Geo-Magician