GPS Maps for USA

I use the openstreetmap maps for the east coast when I visit.

They are good for roads, cover at least some major trails but lack contours. I've got a bunch of track logs of smaller trails I hiked and at some point plan to upload them to OSM. In very hilly areas the lack of contour information is a major negative.

If you're going twice a year then the "expensive" map might not seem so expensive after you've been using it for several trips. If I visited that frequently I'd seriously consider buying the 1:24000 maps - if you buy it from Garmin USA I think it's about $90, which is pretty trivial compared to the cost of plane tickets.

Thanks for your replies and I decided to use Openstreetmap but as a thickie I have been unsuccessful and would welcome some guidance. I chose some tiles in Massachusssets and did my submission getting several files in return. As I dont have Basecamp or Mapsource or a Mac I chose osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip, unzipped it and put the resulting gmapsupp.img file onto the SD card of my Montana into the Garmin folder. I then disabled the other maps and can see Enabled - OSM generic routable but still cannot see the map (I am presently in USA) when I select a cache. I have also put the file into Custommaps but still no joy. What am I missing? All help most welcome.