More Press for Kansas Geocaching

Guest turken

Guest turken

Okay, I'm starting a new thread here, because I don't feel like adding yet another topic to the already long KC area thread.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let everyone know that I was emailed by a reporter from the Wichita Eagle who wants to do a story on Geocaching. He wanted to see the cache here in Lawrence because of having family in town. I just eamiled him back saying I'd love to help on a story, but that I also think some you could give him more insight than I can.

So, for those interested in helping, email Mike Berry: mberry@wichitaeagle.com

-Logan

Guest Todd Svec

I talked to Liz this morning (KC Star) and she said they she was busy with other deadlines and that's why she hasn't called me back. I "warned" her about the upcoming Wichita article, so I think she senses a little competition! We also figured that we live basically a mile apart, so I look to get together with her fairly soon. Oh, I also told her about the upcoming picnic.

Guest Todd Svec

I tried to get Mike to visit us in KC, but he has shifted gears. To quote: "Todd -- thanks for the offer; not sure when I'll be up your way; I found a guy at Newton who is hot and heavy into caching and they will probably want me to focus on him and shoot the photos up there; but I would still like to visit with you; maybe a phone interview. " Not sure where Newton is. Anyway, he also continued that the article may be a bit delayed as: "My schedule got turned on its head; I am down to do a story on the Kansas connections to Tim McVeigh as his execution date arrives, but sounds like that may be on hold. I will get back to you as soon as I know something for sure"

Guest turken

yep. I got the same email too. It's too bad. I was really trying to finish placing my second cache in time for him to give it a test try. Oh well, some press is better than no press. I just hope the guy in Newton is a good ethical cacher.

Guest Todd Svec

Turns out Liz lives just a few short blocks from us, so we are getting together next Tuesday for an interview. I'll letcha know how it goes.

Guest Todd Svec

The interview went fine. Wide discussion, and Liz seems to think the article will be published in eary June. She said she would let us know via email beforehand.

Guest Liz Austin

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know (in case you don't check the other thread) that my story is definitely running Saturday, June 9 on the cover of FYI. Thanks again for all your help and patience.

Guest turken

I'll be out of town (but not complaining too much, 'cause I'm headed for Belize!) that day, and will miss getting a paper. Can someone be sure to clip the article and bring it to the picnic, assuming I make it there? Thanks!

Guest Steve McGinnis

O.K. Got your paper. I'll bring it to the picnic, or you can contact me and make arangements to get it early. What area do you live in, maybe I'll hide it for you and give you coordinates. Hee, Hee.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Todd Svec

The article was in Saturday's paper, and I thought it was well written and informative. Though it's not logged yet on the site, it generated a visit to my Garden cache mid afternoon on Saturday. They thought it was a great thing, and said they would be placing one of their own.

Guest Todd Svec

Looks like the article has peaked some interest for sure. My Garden cache was found three times Saturday and Sunday! I took a peek at the ones around here and it appears we had 16 visits around here logged over the weekend, and there are surely to be more as my visitors haven't logged theirs yet, make you wonder how many others were found. It was also obvious that there were new people, at least a half dozen new names in the logs. I made a point to mention the picnic to everyone that came by, and heard mention twice that they were considering placing their own caches. Side note: Funny, the last group Sunday was also at the Dog & Jog, so there's another group with pups in the family!

Guest chrome

Well I happen to be one of the new interest persons. Thanks much to the story in the KC Star. I have wondered for quite some time what I would do with this GPS gadget. This made perfect sense. Today the kids and I hid our own cache (Ancient Octopus' Garden)and posted to geocaching.com. 1 person found it, we saw another with GPS in hand as we were leaving the vacinity after moving the cache contents to a larger container. I don't believe he found it. He has not posted anything on the web site and he seemed to be having a hard time when we were watching him. In any case, we also found our first today. We had a lot of fun and we are planning our next cache to hide and chosing which cache we will next seek. I want to thank you guys who offered information for the article, it was very interesting. I expect Todd will be looking for our cache tomorrow since he was slapped by Paul because he finally found one before Todd did. Happy Hunting!

Guest chrome

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

FINALLY FOUND ONE BEFORE TODD DID????? This is merely the most recent cache I have found before my esteemed colleague, Todd Svec, has.

OOOHHHH! My mistake. I must have read that wrong. Notice that Todd still has not found it. There are people searching as i write this. I've never met Todd so as far as I know that could be him searching.

Guest Steve McGinnis

OK, everyone. Who is going to do the K.U. Multi-cache next? I went through it and ironed out all the bugs, so it should be fairly easy now. I was given a 4.0 GPA by Turken and Hatzs, for my work and of course the extra credit. Come on, let's see how smart some of the rest of you are. It isn't really that hard. I mean if I can score 4.0, it can't be too difficult.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest rynokc

Thought that you might like to know that they are having a picnic in St. Louis in a week or so. The Waypoint to check it out is GC8DC. They are having a raffle to help recoup some of the costs, also some prizes. Any extra money will be given as the final raffle prize. Ryan and Rhonda