Delorme newbie, need some help

mom2sage

I recently bought a Delorme PN60. I have used it for about two weeks and am starting to master the basics (loading caches, finding them in the field).

What I cannot figure out is how to upload and/or access trail maps on the device. I read that I can see the trails for the parks that I go to if I have the right maps. But, I can't figure out how to do that. The manual did not help me much and the software on the CD just confused me more.

Any help (as detailed as possible, please) would be very appreciated! Thanks!

I recently bought a Delorme PN60. I have used it for about two weeks and am starting to master the basics (loading caches, finding them in the field).

What I cannot figure out is how to upload and/or access trail maps on the device. I read that I can see the trails for the parks that I go to if I have the right maps. But, I can't figure out how to do that. The manual did not help me much and the software on the CD just confused me more.

Any help (as detailed as possible, please) would be very appreciated! Thanks!

The answers to your question(s), in totality, are likely beyond that which the moderators of Groundspeak Forums will permit. PN-60 users will be better served on the Delorme Community Forums for Topo9 and/or Topo10 for information on transferring trail data and user drawn objects from the computer to the handheld gps devices. However it seems that Delorme has currently disabled even viewing Topo9 and Topo10 user forum comments without signing in.

At a minimum, PN-60 users need to install Delorme Topo9 or Topo10 on a computer supporting the Windows Operating System and start climbing the learning curve to understand the power available as well as the limitation of not being able to easily transfer 3rd party scanned raster (jpg) map images with the only the bundled Topo software. But do be aware that detailed PN-60 Delorme topo maps of Canadian Provinces, US States, and Mexican roads are included on DVDs in a separate jewel case or in paper sleeves in the box.

I have to be honest with you: I've used a PN-60 for a couple years, and I used a PN-40 for a couple years before that, and I've never seen anything that allows you to load trail maps. If you find something, please let me know. The best I've found is that in open areas, I can sometimes see the trails in the space views they sell as add-on maps. I always use a hardcopy map when I need to know where the trails are.

I have to be honest with you: I've used a PN-60 for a couple years, and I used a PN-40 for a couple years before that, and I've never seen anything that allows you to load trail maps. If you find something, please let me know. . . .

Things aren't all that bleak for Delorme PN-60 users who become familiar with the bundled Topo9/10 software on the computer. In Topo it is possible to import lines (tracks, trails, roads) in formats including text and gpx, convert those lines to the appropriate Draw Layer by mouse clicks, create Routes from the lines, and then send rasterized line overlay file layers and routes to the PN-60/40.

Usually it's not worth the effort to go all the way with computer created trail routing for an afternoon hike in a small park, and besides using the routing feature shortens battery life. But the ability to accomplish the intent of what the OP desires with multi-colored trail overlays does exist with the basic PN-60/Topo9/10 bundle.

Things aren't all that bleak for Delorme PN-60 users who become familiar with the bundled Topo9/10 software on the computer. In Topo it is possible to import lines (tracks, trails, roads) in formats including text and gpx, convert those lines to the appropriate Draw Layer by mouse clicks, create Routes from the lines, and then send rasterized line overlay file layers and routes to the PN-60/40.

Usually it's not worth the effort to go all the way with computer created trail routing for an afternoon hike in a small park, and besides using the routing feature shortens battery life. But the ability to accomplish the intent of what the OP desires with multi-colored trail overlays does exist with the basic PN-60/Topo9/10 bundle.

And here is an example of exactly that. I sketched in the line of blue dots following a 4WD trail on the photo imagery using Topo NA 9.0. I uploaded the blue dot trail to my PN-40, went back out there and followed it.

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=mpmw68x4

So, check in over here for more help of that nature:

http://forum.delorme.com/