Notifications - Distance differs

Sailaboat

Dear 1 & all,

A bit curious about distance in the publication notification of new caches.

The third line of the notification for a new cache being published has 2 distance measures.

Miles - Bearing (Kilometers - Bearing)

Does anyone know what that distance is?

If I then go to the cache page of the newly published cache, the distance from my "Home" is significantly different from the distance & bearing in the publication notice.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Sailaboat

Dear 1 & all,

A bit curious about distance in the publication notification of new caches.

The third line of the notification for a new cache being published has 2 distance measures.

Miles - Bearing (Kilometers - Bearing)

Does anyone know what that distance is?

If I then go to the cache page of the newly published cache, the distance from my "Home" is significantly different from the distance & bearing in the publication notice.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Sailaboat

So the email might say, for example, it's 10 miles away, but on the cache page it might say 5 miles away?

Simple explanation. When you view on the cache page, it goes by your home location that is entered on the website. When you set up notifications-such as new caches published, it can go by any location. I could set up notifications for my home town, where my aunt lives(for when I visit her) and a city I routinely visit for work. So for the town my aunt lives in, it may be 150 miles from home(As seen on the cache page) it might only be 2 miles from the point where I have that specific notification set up for(which would be seen on that notification.

On a related note, if I have notifications set up for 2 areas that overlap, I'd assume I would get 2 emails, each with a different distance.

Edited by T.D.M.22