Guest crusso

Guest Webfoot

quote:
Originally posted by TheBeans:

We're willing to help anyone in this general area:

47.203 N

122.239 W

Drop us an email.

How close are you to N46 deg 12.334 minutes? My other entreaties to New Zealand haven't panned out as yet. I don't want to have anyone go to extended travel to find my particular coordinate however.

Guest MissJenn

quote:
Originally posted by skaymus:

Howdy, I could sure use your help for this one.

You have hotmail, skaymus.

------------------

All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power. - Ashleigh Brilliant ©

[This message has been edited by MissJenn (edited 11 February 2002).]

Guest TheBeans

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

How close are you to N46 deg 12.334 minutes? My other entreaties to New Zealand haven't panned out as yet. I don't want to have anyone go to extended travel to find my particular coordinate however.

Guest TheBeans

eg 12.334 minutes? My other entreaties to New Zealand haven't panned out as yet. I don't want to have anyone go to extended travel to find my particular coordinate however.

It's about a 3 hour drive, east of us. The closest city to the coordinate you have would be Kennewick, WA--which would be 46.13N. You might want to try a search for cachers by city (if that's possible). If you can't find someone in that area (or close environs) we might be able to help you out but not until the passes clear up and the weather warms---a few more months.

Good luck!

Wendy

------------------

"Not all who wander are lost"

Take me to BeanAcres

Guest TheBeans

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

It's about a 3 hour drive, east of us. The closest city to the coordinate you have would be Kennewick, WA--which would be 46.13N. You might want to try a search for cachers by city (if that's possible). If you can't find someone in that area (or close environs) we might be able to help you out but not until the passes clear up and the weather warms---a few more months.

Good luck!

Wendy

------------------

"Not all who wander are lost"

Take me to BeanAcres

Guest Burglar

Great idea crusso.

Just a query on the conversion of the username... Rocopic asked in an earlier post, "why one would have to cut the decimal in half" (as indicated in crusso's instructions)

I ask the same question, as I wondered the same thing, especially as some posts here have converted names to coordinates ignoring the decimal part... What's the "official" word?

Guest MissJenn

quote:
Originally posted by skaymus:

Miss Jenn!

Howdy, I could sure use your help for this one. Please email me

Skaymus@hotmail.com

Skaymus, cool.gif

You have hotmail again. I'm pretty excited to get the log IN ...

------------------

All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power. - Ashleigh Brilliant ©

[This message has been edited by MissJenn (edited 14 February 2002).]

This is great. I think you're going to start something here. I've already emailed someone in Astoria, Oregon and have set a goal to see how many of these I can do (can you log a find multiple times?---not sure). But my idea was to find multiple "Tag Team Cachers" in U.S. and abroad. Just converting my name (Inzane = 46 02.63x N) and I've identified possible areas in Idaho, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, Washington, and Wisconsin.

Burglar,

The reason I put that option in is that some cachers names are converting to #s larger than 60 when using Deg Hrs Mins and they are not familiar with using decimal conversions. This prevents doing an extra set of conversions for people that are not familiar with how.

Guest Badger1602

I'm planning on setting out my 1st. cache this weekend. It's going to be easily accessible as I want it to be a cache that families can go to together.

My question is about having a mini-cache within the cache. The mini-cache is a wheresgeorge tie-in. It's a film canister with several registered bills, and instructions to the finder on how to use the wheresgeorge site to log the bills as coming from my cache, and how to leave thier own in the can in exchange if they wish to.

So, what do ya think?

Guest Anymouse

Great idea, although converting the username correctly seems to be the tricky part. Does Anymouse convert to 26 48.34365 or 26 48.6873? - Or am I totally off? (If not, it's within a mile of a cache in Florida)

I could easily write a little javascript app that could input a username, and output the values, if you'd like [and if I can figure out the math myself].

Official word? Oh, wait. That's me! Hard to get used to being the official word on anything!

Anyway, "Anymouse" - 26.9668 or 26 48.34x (halved the 96 & the 68 since they are over 60 & also only need to go to 6 places) Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by crusso (edited 16 February 2002).]

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

I'm looking for someone near 98°25.377'.

I'm willing to help someone looking near N 42°20 or W 85°00.

-------

Update: Hmmm...I'm afraid I may not have done this right. When I used MapQuest to look for places along my longitude line, I noticed that got different results when I entered 98° 25.37' vs. 98.2537°

Can somebody tell me which one is correct for my username, and how to do the conversion?

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Zuckerruebensirup (edited 25 February 2002).]

Guest BigHank

I would like to get in touch with anyone who can help me out with this cache. My username equates to:

24 44.2xx

Also, I am willing to help anyone whose coordinates are in the area of my location, which is:

36 27.466N

087 25.351W

Email me at N3ORX@arrl.net

Team BigHank

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I'm afraid I may not have done this right. When I used MapQuest to look for places along my longitude line, I noticed that I got different results when I entered 98° 25.37' vs. 98.2537°

Can somebody tell me which one is correct for my username, and how to do the conversion?

Ah ha! After comparing a couple of examples from cache locations (geocaching.com posts them in deg°min.sec, and the MapQuest link posts them as deg.decimal), I think I've figured it out. Just divide the min.sec by 60, and you have the deg.decimal conversion. icon_smile.gif

So for the example above, one possible location corresponding to my name would be N7°52.000' E98°25.377' which converts to N7.8667° E98.4230°

Also, chris n maria have kindly offered to share an Excel spreadsheet that will do this conversion for you. Look here for their e-mail address. (I'm going to double check my math with it tomorrow, when I get to my Excel program where I can open it.) icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Zuckerruebensirup (edited 03 March 2002).]

Guest Zuckerruebensirup

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

I'm afraid I may not have done this right. When I used MapQuest to look for places along my longitude line, I noticed that I got different results when I entered 98° 25.37' vs. 98.2537°

Ah ha! After comparing a couple of examples from cache locations (geocaching.com posts them in deg°min.sec, and the MapQuest link posts them as deg.decimal), I think I've figured it out. Just divide the min.sec by 60, and you have the deg.decimal conversion. icon_smile.gif

So for the example above, one possible location corresponding to my name would be N7°52.000' E98°25.377' which converts to N7.8667° E98.4230°

Also, chris n maria have kindly offered to share an Excel spreadsheet that will do this conversion for you. Look here for their e-mail address. (I'm going to double check my math with it tomorrow, when I get to my Excel program where I can open it.) icon_wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Zuckerruebensirup (edited 03 March 2002).]