no GPS needed

Guest Ultralight

Guest Ultralight

This must be a first, Somebody found my first ever stash Without the aid of a GPS! i feel kind of ashamed, maybee my clues were too easy, ok i will make it a 2 stage cache, andmake the last cache really hard to find!

Might even need a map for this one icon_smile.gif

Guest jeremy

Folks well versed in UTM and a compass can find caches relatively easily, depending on the area. Of course clues help a bunch. One of my caches is easy enough that you could find it without a GPS unit. I get a bit clue happy.

Jeremy

rain association+map. Your searcher fell into that third category. Basically, you plot a location on a map (given coordinates) and then navigate to it based solely on terrain association. Obviously this is done during the daytime. ;-)

I had been thinking of making a cache that required the person to use terrain association techniques to arrive at the final destination. I just haven't gotten all the bugs worked out of my idea though.

Good work! ;-)

thanks,

bruce

Guest 300mag

Ultralight i dont know if you have a ultralight .One of my friends as a deltaplane like a giant kite(wing).Anyways they have competitions where you have to fly to certain waypoints and back.Sort of a raleigh or race. Just thaught i'd let you know icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 03-23-2001).]

Guest Ultralight

yep sure do, i have an Ultralight, A Sapphire, i want to take the idea to the Australian Ultralight federation, and start a trophie competition, similar to the Coma and get it trophie, Once you have the tropihe, you add your Home airport and name to the trophie, then place the trophie in a cache, somewhere on your airport, then give the co-ordinates on a website. another pilot then flies to the location and finds the trophie, then takes it back to their home airport, and so it goes on

Guest 300mag

Cool idea i hope you work it out.I am sure it's going to be great.

Sorry for the delay but my pc was doing free games@#!%$ icon_redface.gif

[This message has been edited by 300mag (edited 04-01-2001).]

Guest Steve McGinnis

I don't know about any one else, but I have places four caches. I enjoy the fact that people find them and leave me log sheets and post their finds on the net. I try to hide them so they can find them, and if they can do it without a GPS, more power to them. I can't see any purpose in hidding something that no one will be able to find. Heck, if you want to do that, just put up some co-ordinates, and forget about the cache, people can just look for some thing that isn't there. I use three GPS's when I hunt. A Garmin 45XL, a Magellan 315, and an Eagle Explorer. I usually get three different points, within, say, 30 or 40 feet of each other. Now if you figure the person who placed the cache, had a Lowrance Sport Nav, they could have placed the cache in a different spot within the 40 foot circle. I thind clues are assential, once you get to the right spot, it helps to know exactly what you are looking for and what it is in or under. My own oppinion. Thanks, Steve

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest kbraband

quote:
Originally posted by Steve McGinnis:

I use three GPS's when I hunt.

I think I speak for many other geocachers when I say, "We bow to your impressive geocache geekiness." (Just funnin' ya)

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Steve McGinnis:

I use three GPS's when I hunt.

I'm trying to picture how you carry them all, and the reaction of people when they encounter you on the trail!

Guest Steve McGinnis

You have to understand, I live in Kansas. Most of the time we are not on a trail. We could be in the middle of a farm field, in the middle of a pasture, walking along a river, stream or creek, or just in one of the city parks. Back here, the parks are usually pretty good size, with no one hardly in them. Any way, I usually carry a napsac, with all my taking/leaving stuff in it, along with two of my GPS's (I guess I am sort of a GPS geek), but this section is called "Unusual". I like to take the other ones out once I get real close, and see which one is right. Befor you ask, they take turns. When I plant a cache, I usually take readings from all three, and then average them out and leave the average as coordinates.

Steve

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Exocet

This seems like the most appropriate area to post this question, since people are talking about finding caches without GPS's...

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a particular map-maker, dealer, etc that makes high-quality (accurate) maps with lat/lon lines on them.

Although I don't really feel like going after a cache without my GPS, it might be fun. Really, though, it's nice just to plot a point on a map so I have another idea of knowing where a cache is at.

Right now my friend and I are using his Thompson/DeLorme Oregon state map which has a lot of detail, but no lat/lon lines on the map which makes it hard to plot caches.

I'm interested in getting a large wall map along with a smaller book format (12 x 15 sized or so) that has the state broken up into sections/pages that have the lat/lon lines on 'em.

Any help is appreciated!

Guest Steve McGinnis

Another such program is Precision Street Maps, from Swift Jewel. I got my copy from Wally World (Wal Mart) for $ 9.99. But I have also seen them at Radio Shack for like $10.00, also

Steve

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Exocet

Bob & Steve,

I checked out National Geographic's site, but they don't have Oregon maps available yet. Doh. :)

Nonetheless, although this is not normally the case, I'd actually prefer a paper map that I can hold in my hands. Often I don't know how many caches I will visit on the weekend or where I might end up. Thus, the paper version is more appropriate.

If anyone else has any suggestions for excellent paper maps, I'm interested in hearing them. So far I've been impressed with DeLorme's topographic maps, which a friend and I use constantly when we're out searching for caches. http://www.delorme.com/atlases/atlasgaz.htm

Guest Steve McGinnis

If you click on the print button, presto, you have a paper map. Just funnin'

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Exocet:

Bob & Steve,

I checked out National Geographic's site, but they don't have Oregon maps available yet. Doh. :)

I don't know why the National Geographic site doesn't show it, but they do have Oregon. REI has it. Check out

http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=7064990&prmenbr=8000

Also check out

http://www.4x4books.com/wftstates.htm

They have it at a discount.

Bob