sending corrected coordinates to map and GPS?

AZjohn

I've been slowly getting into unknown caches, solving puzzles and entering the corrected coordinates on the cache description sheet in Geocaching.com. When I send these to my GPS they show up OK in the corrected location as little question marks rather than green boxes which is cool. But when I look at the geocache map in Geocaching.com the unknown caches are still in the old uncorrected location. This makes it difficult for me to plan my geocaching circuits using the Geocaching.com map as often the corrected locations are quite different and far from the uncorrected ones. Is there a way I can get the Geocaching.com map to put the solved ( corrected) caches in the correct locations?

A related question is with pocket queries. If I get a new one for my area and send it to my GPS will this overwrite the unknown caches that I spent time getting corrected coordinates for? We've had around 100 new caches published in my area in the last few weeks and I'd like to get a pocket query and update my GPS but am concerned about losing my corrections. Any advice/knowledge?

thanks for any help anyone can offer.

AZJohn

As of right now, there's no way to display the corrected coordinates of puzzle caches on the larger geocaching.com map. If I'm trying to plan a route, I'll sometimes load a PQ of my solved puzzles (I keep them in a separate bookmark for this reason), and then a PQ of other caches in the area - all except unknowns (since if I include unknown caches, it would give me both ones I have solved and ones I have not). Then I'll load both GPX files in Google Earth to see where I might be able to pick up some of my solved puzzles and a few other caches as well.

As long as you have corrected the puzzle coordinates on the cache page (by clicking the pencil next to the original coordinates and then typing in the new ones), running a new PQ will not overwrite corrected coords - every time you run a PQ, it will pull the edited coordinates from the page, NOT the original "fake" coordinates.

Thanks - that gets rid of my concern on losing the corrected data. I wasn't aware you could load GPX files of multiple points in Google Earth - all I've ever done was type in single point coordinates. Your solution sounds like it could work for me. Now:

How do you store files to a bookmark? and how do you upload to Google earth?. I'm a newby at this unfortunately.

Thanks agin

AZ john

On the geocaching homepage, there are a series of a drop-down menus at the top, and the second one is "Your Profile." Hover over that, and the menu will drop down - choose "Lists." Here's where you can create bookmark lists. Create one, name it "Puzzles solved but not found" or whatever you'd like. Now, when you go to the webpage for a puzzle cache you've solved, the last choice in the "Navigation" box (the same box where you would choose to log a cache), is "Bookmark Listing." Click that, and a separate page will come up asking which of your bookmark lists you'd like to add this cache to. Pick your list where you're keeping track of your solved puzzles.

You can also add caches to a bookmark list by clicking their icon on the geocaching.com map. When you click it, that little box pops up with some info about the cache, and there are also three links on the bottom of the box - the first one is "Bookmark it."

For viewing on Google Earth, the easiest thing to do, once you've downloaded and unzipped your pocket query, is just to drag the file over to Google Earth while it's running. So literally, just drag the GPX file and drop it on top of the earth. A box will come up asking you what sort of options you want - you can just leave everything as-is. And then all the cache icons will pop up on the map - and you can click each one to get more info, just like you would on the geocaching.com map. If you want to add another pocket query, just drag and drop that one too - as long as you make sure both gpx files are selected (click the box next to the file so it's showing a check mark), then all the caches from both pocket queries will appear on Google Earth.

Edited by redwoodkestrel

Why is it that geocachng.com cannot add a 'solved puzzle' icon to the current map icons? I do not want to get into deep technology, etc, just want to be able to find my solved puzzles along a certain route without missing them in the process. It sounds like an easy fix to me. Before puzzles are solved a "?" is on the map, after solving it would update to a solved puzzle icon "!" at the accurate coordinates.

Why is it that geocachng.com cannot add a 'solved puzzle' icon to the current map icons? I do not want to get into deep technology, etc, just want to be able to find my solved puzzles along a certain route without missing them in the process. It sounds like an easy fix to me. Before puzzles are solved a "?" is on the map, after solving it would update to a solved puzzle icon "!" at the accurate coordinates.
Without getting into "deep technology"...

The current system displays an icon based on only one thing: the cache type.

There is probably code everywhere in the system that assumes this to be true. There is probably code everywhere in the system that assumes that the icon depends only on the cache type.

To give solved puzzles their own icon, you need to change this assumption. Everywhere. In all the code everywhere in the system. That can be a big job.