Trapping a Cacher

Guest casey4791

LOL

One of the logs has a pic of the trap.

If I were you, I'd go back and remove the "bait", leaving the trap un-sprung.

That should throw them for a loop when they return to see if they've caught anything icon_smile.gif

Heck, I might even replace the chicken bait with a ragged looking note with the "signature" of some animal (ie, dog's paw print) icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 10 December 2001).]

Sheesh... They should know that a dead chicken won't catch a geocacher. The proper bait is an amo box, a white bucket, or a tupper ware type box. Do you think these park people will ever learn?

Guest casey4791

quote:
Originally posted by Byron:

Sheesh... They should know that a dead chicken won't catch a geocacher. The proper bait is an amo box, a white bucket, or a tupper ware type box. Do you think these park people will ever learn?

I guess not. I might have even been tempted with a PEZ dispenser. icon_wink.gif

Guest erik88L-R

I was the one to first come across the trap and chicken. I was on a business trip to California and had seen signs warning of mountain lions on some of the trail heads that I visited while geocaching on the trip. I thought "oh sure" and pretty much ignored the warning - until I saw this trap.

When I saw that the trap would hold ME I wondered if it was meant to cache a lion in the area. I aborted that cache hunt pretty quickly! "Mamma didn't raise no fool", as they say here in Georgia! ~erik~

Guest spiny norman

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

LOL

One of the logs has a pic of the trap.

If I were you, I'd go back and remove the "bait", leaving the trap un-sprung.

That should throw them for a loop when they return to see if they've caught anything icon_smile.gif

Heck, I might even replace the chicken bait with a ragged looking note with the "signature" of some animal (ie, dog's paw print) icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by makaio (edited 10 December 2001).]

Funnier still, replace it with a rubber chicken and a note from the mountain lion that it was not up to his high culinary standards.

Guest casey4791

Here's an "unusual" story for you:

I had placed a cache in a fairly little park by my home. The cache was on the slope side of a hill, by an tree, and under a log. The area itself is pretty urban, overlooking the Pacific Coast Highway. It was there for two months without any odd activity.

This past Friday, someone posted that there was a trap with a dead chicken in it by my cache. I thought they were kidding. I received another post on Saturday also stating that there was a trap with a chicken in it. Now I had to check it out.

I arrived to the site to find that the cachers were right. There was a 4 foot tall, 5 foot long, wire trap on top of where my cache used to be. Inside of the trap was a whole uncooked chicken, meant as the bait. My cache was moved 10 feet away from the area (thankfully), so I grabbed it and archived the page.

Because this is a public park in an urban area, the only thought I had was that the park people saw the matted down grass in that one area and thought perhaps there was a large animal roaming about.

I'm a bit humored that if that's the case, they had set a trap up to catch a geocacher. Maybe they didn't know that all they had to do was post new coordinates. icon_wink.gif

Here's the link to the now archived page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=8374

I live in an urban neighborhood that backs up to a small river. I discovered 2 men in my backyard one night (1am). They had to jump a locked chain link fence to get in. Unfortunately, they left before the police arrived. The next day, I found they had set two traps baited with cinnamon buns. We believe they were trapping raccoons or o'possums for food or pelts. Needless to say, I confiscated the traps and posted no trespassing signs. Apparently, this wasn't the first time, but the first time at that hour of the morning. My neighbors thought they had permission. They were coming at about 10am after I had gone to work. I couldn't believe these people had such disregard for private property. One of the neighbors had confronted them about accessing his property and he said they acted like he was in the wrong. Go figure... Anyway, they lost their two $100 traps, so the monetary loss must have had an impact in discouraging them from coming back.