Limits

Over21uk

Is there a limit on the amount of views / downloads to a MOBILE DEVICE through the official app in a given time frame ie 24 hours.

I keep getting a problem when downloading PQ's to my iPhone, iPod and iPad to save to an offline list. I keep getting :-

Connection Problem

Uh-oh. There was a problem

connecting to the Geocaching

servers. Please try again.

When I try again the following day it seems ok again then goes back o the error later on (after more downloads)

Hence the question regarding limits.

There are limits, but unless you're trying to download information for all the caches in the United States, you shouldn't be hitting that limit within a 24 hour period.

Have you tried loading your PQ's through Wifi to improve the stability of your connection?

What I have done is a PQ of a 25 mile radius if my home. This resulted in just over 5000 caches. I have 3 mobile devices that I am trying to download these to thus resulting in around 15600 caches to download. I am using wifi which does take around an hour per 1000, so I can download about 3000 per hour. Only I think I must have hit a limit as its not letting me access the server. Hence the question about limits.

What I have done is a PQ of a 25 mile radius if my home. This resulted in just over 5000 caches. I have 3 mobile devices that I am trying to download these to thus resulting in around 15600 caches to download. I am using wifi which does take around an hour per 1000, so I can download about 3000 per hour. Only I think I must have hit a limit as its not letting me access the server. Hence the question about limits.

1. A PQ cannot result in "just over 5000 caches". The maximum possible size of a PQ is 1000. Do you mean you ran 5 PQs?

2. Downloading PQs to a mobile device doesn't count against your API limit (I just checked), so there shouldn't be any limit to hit.

Has this happened more than once? I wonder if you were just unlucky and ran into a downtime with the API, especially since the error message was about a connection problem.

The latest API limits I've seen are

• 2,000 caches per hour
  • 10,000 summary caches per day
  • 6,000 detailed caches per day

But that's completely unofficial.

I ran 6 PQ's over 2 days. I know its not server problems as I asked my friends if they were experiencing the same problems, using the same devices and it worked fine for them. This has happened twice now, and both times it was when I was downloading the PQ's to mobile devices. I have now been told that there is actually a limit of 6000 full descriptions and 10000 lite descriptions when down loading using the api.

If this is the case, then this would fit with the error I'm getting. The day after its always fine until I start getting up to the limit again.

I have now been told that there is actually a limit of 6000 full descriptions and 10000 lite descriptions when down loading using the api.

If this is the case, then this would fit with the error I'm getting. The day after its always fine until I start getting up to the limit again.

See my post above. The API limits apply to downloading individual caches or batches of caches, but not PQs. To test this, I used GSAK to check my API download balance and confirmed I haven't used any of my daily allotment. I then saved a 300-cache PQ offline in the official iPhone app and checked my balance again. It hasn't changed.

Maybe there's a hidden limit that applies to saving PQs that you've run into. Yours is the first report I've seen of such behaviour, though.

Just tossing my own limited observations in (pun not really intended, but there you go...).

Mrs Geo and I both have noticed the "uh-oh" disconnect message of late when downloading PQ's to our SmartDevice app. Usually it clears itself up after a while. It just downloaded 290 caches (of 328) and then stopped. Precisely 290 for about 5 tries by my wife and I on separate Devices. The caches are all there (290 of them, anyway), but of course no offline maps. I closed the app, removed it from the multitask bar, opened the app, deleted the offline file and 290 caches. Powered the device completely down (reset), did all the same stuff again. 290 caches. It sat around for a while as I searched the forum to come up with this thread, read it thru. Thought about responding. My wife wandered over to her Device, started the PQ download, and it finished without a problem. A consistent 290 caches doesn't sound like my internet (wifi) is causing the problem. She then downloaded a 500 cache PQ with no problem, although the maps seem to be loading reeeeeaaaaaalllllly slow. I'm waiting to see if I can download the 328 PQ after she finishes the 500 before I close this for now.

290 of 500. 290 of 500. 290 of 500. 290 of 500. Deleted the offline file before each attempt. Interesting to note that when going back in the app to the PQ list, several times it told me there was a problem without opening the PQ for download. The final time (which has worked so far with 500 caches downloaded and now working on maps) gave me "there is a problem" message 3 times before I tapped the PQ the 4th time to choose the PQ and start the download.

Have no idea if any of this is of any use.