Need Help Getting Started!

Hi all, new guy here. I've been wanting to give Geocaching a try for a few years now, but have never really gotten serious about it. I've got 2 children, 5 and 7 yrs. old, and I think that they are old enough now to appreciate the whole Geocaching concept. I'm going on vacation shortly and have planned to take the children out to pick up a few caches. I've got my locations already scoped out for "beginner" type caches, got my coordinates and all info that I think I need. Thing is, I dont know how to use the coordinates.

I've got an Android smartphone (ol' schoolie). I've got a GPS app I downloaded a few months ago while on sale. It's called "GPS Test Plus", it looks robust enough that it should easily be able to accomplish a task such as entering some coordinates from the Geocaching website, and then have the app tell me what direction to go. Whenever I go to input the coordinates into the app, it will only take a decimal format, where as all my coordinates are Deg/Min/Sec format. I know there are conversion calculators out there, but would prefer to skip that step and find an app that will take the coordinates in the format that I've got.

I dont need anything that downloads various cache data in regards to my location, or anything that advanced. I just need something elementary simple that I can input my coordinates (in Deg/Min/Sec format) and then just have it tell me which way to go and how far it is until I get there. I've tried a couple other apps (GeoCompass, C:Geo) and they both appear to be too involved for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Anyone got any SIMPLE GPS apps for Android?

Thanks! B)

Howdy!

The first thing I did was get the Geo caching app for my android and it works with the gps in the phone. It's great! I think it cost seven dollars, but I am not sure. You don't need to put in the coords, the app takes care of that for you. Also, I highly, highly recommend that you pay the thirty bucks and become a Premium Member at Geo Caching dot com. We went on an adventure to the Adirondacks and being a premium member, I could download the caches into my phone's hard drive. Because there's no cell phone signal in the mountains, but you still get pretty decent GPS signal, you can still go caching. For me, it was worth the $30 to go premium just for me to save a huge list of caches in the Adirondacks to my phone so that we could go from GZ to GZ hassle-free. Also, be ready to buy a back up battery for your phone! You'll eat a battery up in no time. We always have one plugged in to the car's lighter jack while we are driving so we have a back up.

We are new to this adventure, too. We just found our 56th cache today. I am really into it. I am finding that my Galaxy S III used to be really cool, but seems to be less & less reliable for us. I am always questioning the accuracy. I am constantly waiting for the thing to catch up. Plus, I am always wanting to use it for other things, like a PHONE, weather radar, text messages, calculator, camera, etc... So, I have decided that I must have a handheld GPS unit. I am just deciding which one. I think I have decided, but I need to do some more research.

So, yeah... have fun. Your kids are going to love it. My seven year old has learned so much from our experiences caching. What a great experience for kids! The hardest lesson of all is patience! LOL

Hope my advice helps. Just dive right in, that's what I did. Trust me, though, when I say- just drop the $7 for the app and the $30 for the premium membership right away. You'll be glad you did! It's sooo worth it.

Hi all, new guy here. I've been wanting to give Geocaching a try for a few years now, but have never really gotten serious about it. I've got 2 children, 5 and 7 yrs. old, and I think that they are old enough now to appreciate the whole Geocaching concept. I'm going on vacation shortly and have planned to take the children out to pick up a few caches. I've got my locations already scoped out for "beginner" type caches, got my coordinates and all info that I think I need. Thing is, I dont know how to use the coordinates.

I've got an Android smartphone (ol' schoolie). I've got a GPS app I downloaded a few months ago while on sale. It's called "GPS Test Plus", it looks robust enough that it should easily be able to accomplish a task such as entering some coordinates from the Geocaching website, and then have the app tell me what direction to go. Whenever I go to input the coordinates into the app, it will only take a decimal format, where as all my coordinates are Deg/Min/Sec format. I know there are conversion calculators out there, but would prefer to skip that step and find an app that will take the coordinates in the format that I've got.

I dont need anything that downloads various cache data in regards to my location, or anything that advanced. I just need something elementary simple that I can input my coordinates (in Deg/Min/Sec format) and then just have it tell me which way to go and how far it is until I get there. I've tried a couple other apps (GeoCompass, C:Geo) and they both appear to be too involved for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Anyone got any SIMPLE GPS apps for Android?

Thanks! B)

GPS Test is one I use occasionally. There is a 'Plus' version as well, but it's so long since I upgraded to that I can't remember the differences are.

A quick look at similar apps listed on the Google Play page for GPS Test indicate that something simple like bearing pointer or BeBack Free might do what you're looking for.