What to do about missing Waymarks

Hey all. I'm an established cacher, but I've recently gotten into Waymarking. I've come across a few Waymarks that no longer exist, and I'm not sure what to do about them. Over on the caching side I'd log a "Needs archive" log, but there doesn't appear to be such a function on the Waymarking site. I've left comments on them stating that they're missing, but I don't know if anyone will see those comments and archive the Waymarks. Is what I've done the best I can do, or is there something more? None of the help articles mention anything about what to do in such scenarios.

I've had a bunch of Waymarks turn up not missing. I usually make a note with the word Archive in it - to get the WO's attention. In a couple of cases the WO noticed it and archived it a little while later.

If that doesn't work, then go the next level as mentioned above.

I know if I got any note on any of my Waymarks that said that was gone, I'd go ahead and archive it. No reason to have folks running around looking for something that ain't there - whether a geocache or a waymark. Or Waldo.

Add a comment on the waymark and the waymark owner will see it. Often waymarks will not be archived as they record what was there. Most of us will annotate the title and description with GONE or Legacy or something like that to indicate it is no longer there. You can contact one of the officers for the category the waymark is in, try to select one that is active. You can also edit the waymark title by adding GONE to the title and this will go to the officers for review. (I would use other methods first). I had a historic building go missing recently and I modified the title as soon as I got the visit note indicating it is no longer there.

Edited by BruceS

Sounds like good good advice to me. Even if a waymark is no longer there, it is still an historical place of some kind. May still be worth a visit if there are other things to see / waymark. You never know you may even create a new waymark for something someone has missed in the past :D

Sounds like good good advice to me. Even if a waymark is no longer there, it is still an historical place of some kind. May still be worth a visit if there are other things to see / waymark. You never know you may even create a new waymark for something someone has missed in the past :D

Yours was great advise, as well. I would bet that a majority of the waymarks I've posted have been as a result of visiting other existing waymarks. When I arrive at the waymark I intend to visit, more times than not, I spot something else that should be waymarked or something that should be waymarked in an additional category - and usually more than one! It could be for any number of reasons that it wasn't waymarked by the person who submitted the existing waymark. They could have only been looking for specific categories; they could have missed it (I've done that); it could be that the category wasn't in effect at the time of their visit, so they didn't bother with it.

I agree, with posting a note on the title of the waymark that is no longer there ( I usually add [GONE] to the end of the waymark title), rather than archive it. I have had a hand full of mine turn up missing for whatever reason. I prefer leaving a record of its existence.

Edited by Chasing Blue Sky