Geo-achievements? What's the etiquette?

Navigeeker

Although I've been casually geocaching off and on for years, I've recently gotten back into it with a vengeance after introducing a friend of mine to the game. I'm so glad I did and I'm loving my renewed caching, but I'm realizing just how out of touch with the geocaching community I am these days! Which brings me to my question for the geocaching hivemind:

Poking around on the store I found the "Geo-achievement" coins available but I found very little details on the guideline/etiquette of them. For example, I'm really intrigued by the "365-day caching streak" coin and I love the idea of challenging myself with this one! What do most cachers consider a "streak"? If one day includes looking, but failing to find, a cache does that still count? Is there somewhere on the forums where people regularly challenge themselves or others and track that? Am I completely over-thinking this?

Thanks for any info and support for this prodigal cacher!

If you use GSAK there are some macros that confirm if you've completed some of the challenges.

Have a look at the website project-gc.com. You can link to your profile - the Badgegen tab on the site will also give some ideas of which challenges you have completed.

Cheers,

WalkDMC! aka Dean

There are caches considered "Challenge Caches" (different from the now defunct "Geocaching Challenges"). These are specific caches that challenge you to try to achieve different things - and once you have achieved them, you can log a find on the cache.

The 365-day streak is a common challenge, and yes, it requires actually finding (not just searching for) a cache every day.

Some challenges involve filling in your entire D/T grid, or finding a cache hidden on every day of the year, or alphanumeric challenges with cache names or cache owners, or finding caches in a certain number of counties or states, etc.

Check out the US Challenge Caches Bookmark Lists compiled by shell1fish. You can find ones in your state that you might want to work toward.