Geocaching challenge incorrectly completed!

The only rule I ever found in this game:

is your name must be in the logbook before you can log it as found online.

Please let us know where you found this rule.

While the Geocaching 101 section does present three rules of geocaching, which include writing about your find in the logbook and logging online at www.geocaching.com, these rules don't indicate that any rule is dependendant on doing any other rule. There are no sanctions called out for violating thes rules.

These rules are more of instructions or best practices for geocaching.

Groundspeak has given cache owners to responsibility for quality control of the post made to their online cache pages. Logs which are bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate should be deleted. In order to deal with cache owners who abuse this responsibility some limits have been placed on when cache owners can delete log. The guidelines for logging of physical caches simply tells owners of physical caches that they can not have additional requirements beyond signing the physical logbook for logging a find online, and tells finders that once they have signed the physical logbook, they can log their find online confident that an owner can arbitrarily delete it. Challenge caches are an exception to this guidelines, but they have other guidelines indicating that the cache owner has to consider how they will substantiate claims that the cache requirements have been met.

While Toz and Thomas swerve around the dead horse in the road, I'll offer this.

;)

Cheating, or fudging on challenge caches is nothing new. Consider Dick and Jane, two related cachers with separate accounts. Each places a park n grab almost on a daily basis and Dick is almost always FTF on Jane's new cache, and visa-versa. All of their logs read similar to "FTF, this is my 320th consecutive day finding a cache, and my 63rd day in a row with a FTF". As both cross over the 366 day threshold, two new challenges pop up. One for a 365 day streak and one for completing the calendar grid including leap day. They FTF both of those. Of course, along the way they also completed the individual 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 day challenges. They also made sure all of those disposable caches that they placed stated with each letter of the alphabet so they could nab that one.

The sad thing is that I'm not making this up and many of us laughed about it when it was brought up at events. I don't recall anyone ever being outraged or trying to figure out who to "report" them to.

Edited by Don_J

The only rule I ever found in this game:

is your name must be in the logbook before you can log it as found online.

Please let us know where you found this rule.

While the Geocaching 101 section does present three rules of geocaching, which include writing about your find in the logbook and logging online at www.geocaching.com, these rules don't indicate that any rule is dependendant on doing any other rule. There are no sanctions called out for violating thes rules.

These rules are more of instructions or best practices for geocaching.

Groundspeak has given cache owners to responsibility for quality control of the post made to their online cache pages. Logs which are bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate should be deleted. In order to deal with cache owners who abuse this responsibility some limits have been placed on when cache owners can delete log. The guidelines for logging of physical caches simply tells owners of physical caches that they can not have additional requirements beyond signing the physical logbook for logging a find online, and tells finders that once they have signed the physical logbook, they can log their find online confident that an owner can arbitrarily delete it. Challenge caches are an exception to this guidelines, but they have other guidelines indicating that the cache owner has to consider how they will substantiate claims that the cache requirements have been met.

How is the game played?

At its simplest level, geocaching requires these 8 steps:

Register for a free Basic Membership.

Visit the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page.

Enter your postal code and click "search."

Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

This would seem to indicate that the logbook must be signed thus a rule but......

What are the rules of geocaching?

If you take something from the geocache (or "cache"), leave something of equal or greater value.

Write about your find in the cache logbook.

Log your experience at www.geocaching.com.

This seems to void the above.

Now that I think about it I think I only have one find as I do not write about my experience in the logbook.

Edited by Roman!

There are no "rules", only suggested guidelines.

Funny, I see three rules, who to believe you or GS?

And I guess I have been breaking rule #2 for my whole caching experience... I don't think I have ever written about my experience in the cache logbook. I guess I need to reset my find count to 0.