Lost geocoin's private tracking number

sisterluc

What do I do, if I lost a coin's private tracking number?

I have struggled to do everything right with retrieving it, so I just dropped it, physically, in a new cache. Now I'm not able to log it as 'retrieved' from the old cache, because I no longer have the coin ...

What should I do? :/

If you own the coin, you can find the tracking number on the trackables page under the Trackable Options, will say "Tracking Number: XXXXXX"... if it is just a coin you picked up somewhere that belongs to someone else then there really isn't much you can do to get the code again aside from going to pick up the coin physically again or maybe sending an email to the owners geo-profile to see if they will provide you with it.

Okay, thanks Decer. I guess I could go to check if the coin is still there. Sorry for the mess, coin-owner.

If you own the coin, you can find the tracking number on the trackables page under the Trackable Options, will say "Tracking Number: XXXXXX"... if it is just a coin you picked up somewhere that belongs to someone else then there really isn't much you can do to get the code again aside from going to pick up the coin physically again or maybe sending an email to the owners geo-profile to see if they will provide you with it.

If you haven't yet listed it as dropped it should still be in your inventory. Look on the right hand side of your profile and see if it is listed there. However, if someone has already taken it from the cache and logged the grab then it won't show up in your inventory and there shouldn't be a problem.

I have struggled to do everything right with retrieving it, so I just dropped it, physically, in a new cache. Now I'm not able to log it as 'retrieved' from the old cache, because I no longer have the coin ...

The coin isn't showing as in your hands because you posted a "discover" log instead of a "retrieved" log.

If you can go back to the cache you dropped it in, and get the tracking number, that would be the best way to set things straight.

Other than that, post a note to the cache page where you physically dropped it. And perhaps a note on the coin's page as well, to let folks know that things got a little confuzzled.

B.

If you haven't yet listed it as dropped it should still be in your inventory. Look on the right hand side of your profile and see if it is listed there. However, if someone has already taken it from the cache and logged the grab then it won't show up in your inventory and there shouldn't be a problem.

As in my post above, the coin was not "retrieved", but "discovered", so it's not in the OP's inventory.

B.

The coin isn't showing as in your hands because you posted a "discover" log instead of a "retrieved" log.

If you can go back to the cache you dropped it in, and get the tracking number, that would be the best way to set things straight.

Other than that, post a note to the cache page where you physically dropped it. And perhaps a note on the coin's page as well, to let folks know that things got a little confuzzled.

B.

Yeah, I know I 'discovered' it insted of 'retrieving' it. I'm pretty new to all this, and this is the first and only coin I have found so far. Appreciate the help - I'll do my best to straighten it all up ;)

It's okay don't worry. Just go back to the cache where you found it and made your discovery. It should still be listed in the cache inventory. Go to the trackable's individual page and find the owner. Send them a message through their profile and explain what happened. The owner can look on their trackable's page and find the listed number that is physically on the coin and email it back to you so you can correctly log it found and then deposited into the new cache. :)

edit to say: actually, just go to your Discovered log and you can get to the page even quicker :)

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

You could always drop a line to the Coin Owner and see if they will provide you with the Tracking no. so you could update it. Or you could tell the owner of the Coin which cache you put it in so they could do the book keeping.

You could always drop a line to the Coin Owner and see if they will provide you with the Tracking no. so you could update it. Or you could tell the owner of the Coin which cache you put it in so they could do the book keeping.

Wow, you're so helpful, all! :)Thanks a lot!

I've posted new logs for both caches and the coin's page, and think I'll settle with that :)