TB mission in a container

-CJ-

It's quite common for me to travel without Internet connection. Sometimes I have only cache descriptions/hints at hand. Sometimes I meet TBs in containers. Usually they are left alone, just some souvenirs and chained TB signs. One who dropped a TB into the cache doesn't say anything but "IN: Roasted Chicken TB" in the cache's logbook. I believe people expect that next visitors will check inventory online. As I said, I sometimes don't do this (or have no chance to download up-to-date description/inventory because I lack Internet connection in some remote locations.

Last year in Ireland, Co.Clare, I ran into the cache which I had downloaded to my smartphone a couple of weeks before I went for a hunt. Inside one cache I found a TB from the US with a note in a small plastic ziplock saying: "Next destination: Russia". The TB was put into the cache by one US geocacher three days before (so I had no idea about this TB). It was a lucky chance for this TB because I'm Russian and was about to travel back to my country soon. However, without this comment about destination I would most probably leave the TB in its place (and raise its chances to be muggled and never reach Russia).

My question: is there a practice of attaching brief missions to TBs? Or was this Irish story just an exclusion from a general tradition?

Edited by -CJ-

It's more common than you think. Geocoins often come in plastic sleeves with space to write a destination or mission.

I've also seen more and more mission statement papers bagged with TBs. Just make sure you keep them together. Earlier this week I found a mission brief without TB. Apparently they got separated...

TB owners that really want their TBs to achieve a goal attach the goal to the TB. I'd guess that less than 20% of the TBs I've seen have a goal attached.

I almost always take a TB: if a TB doesn't have an attached goal, then I assume that if I take it and later discover I can't help it -- or even if I send it backwards -- then that's just its bad luck. I find this works out better. For example, if we consider the case you describe, but without the attached goal, imagine how disappointing it would have been for you to skip the TB then discover later that you're the perfect person to help it reach its destination! I think that chance of being able to help makes it worth the risk of not being able to help it.

I haven't attached goal statements to any of my travelers because I'm lazy, and I'm perfectly willing to accept that not every person that takes one of my TBs will actually be able to help it.

if we consider the case you describe, but without the attached goal, imagine how disappointing it would have been for you to skip the TB

True. At the same time - you are right - if one wishes his TB to reach some remote destination he/she will attach this goal to the TB, just for sure. It's so easy, really. If they don't do this I suppose they are not so much interested - then why should I take any responsibility (with my rather limited experience)?

I wondered if there were any kind of rules/recommendations "Please attach a goal statement to your TB before putting it into any container". From your answers (thank you both) I suppose there have been no such rules/recommendations.

Edited by -CJ-