Moved Waymark Question

xptwo

What does the community think about how to handle a moved waymark? I went to a location but discovered the waymark was gone. I found it some distance away where it had been moved to a new spot by the owners. I emailed the waymark poster and offered to provide new photos and coordinates but have not received a reply. If there is no response, would a new posting be appropriate?

Thanks for your advice.

David

This question comes up fairly frequently. And, the answer has to do partly with the type of waymark.

If it is a commercial business that has relocated, then I think it is best to leave the old waymark up and label it as MOVED. (I put that as the first word in the title, quick description and detailed description, where I also add a short explanation.) The new location gets a new waymark, and and each can get a link to the other.

If it is something more moveable, like a sculpture or statue, then the same approach can be used, or the current waymark can be updated with new photos and a description of the move along with the old photos.

In your case, the best you can do is exactly what you have done. We hope that the waymark creator will make the modifications. If he doesn't then you might just want to create a new waymark and link to the old one, depending on the type of site and significance of the move.